• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chicago to Grand Canyon run info request

jettech

Reaction score
We did a Yellowstone run this year with our 24 fleetwood trailer. I'm in the early stages of planing a Grand Canyon run for next year. I was originally going to run 80 most of the way. But when I pumped it into streets and trips it wants to run south to st louis and then use 44 & 40 taking a more southern route. I guess 70 could be an option as well. I'm looking for suggestions from someone who's done it as far as the better route to take and other places to stay (camping) and other things to see and do along the way. Thanks.:driving:

I would ask on how much did you want to see on the way or just go for theCanyon and then do the looking there when you arrive. If you wanted to see lots of the country on the way, you could do 80 thru Nebraska to about the middle at York, take 81 South and then drop down into Kansas and go either to Salina and grap 70 west to Denver or go south and grab 40 and then head west. Taking 70 you could then go to Denver, then 25 south to 40 and see some of the New Mexico area and go west thru Gallup and across Arizona and see miles and miles of sandstone that is neat in its own way.
But hey, its your trip and you are supposed to make it YOUR trip

Have fun

But hey, its your trip and you are supposed to make it YOUR trip

Have fun

Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to see which route may be more senic or have more to see along the way. I've driven 80 into Wyoming on hunting trips so I know what to expect up that point. Just curious if the 70 or 40-44 route offers more. Any must sees or don't waste your time with attractions along the way. Obviously time will dictate a lot. I'm trying to get 3 weeks vac time at once but wont know till Nov, the goofy place I work at has everyone bid all they're vac time then for the next year.:patriot:

Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to see which route may be more senic or have more to see along the way. I've driven 80 into Wyoming on hunting trips so I know what to expect up that point. Just curious if the 70 or 40-44 route offers more. Any must sees or don't waste your time with attractions along the way. Obviously time will dictate a lot. I'm trying to get 3 weeks vac time at once but wont know till Nov, the goofy place I work at has everyone bid all they're vac time then for the next year.:patriot:

If you plan some sightseeing on the way, stop and go east of Raton NM and see the old Volcano area. Miles and miles of flat ground and then you see what is left of some old volcano magma plumes sticking right up from the ground. If you have been across on 80 then I would suggest a different route to see other areas. You could still come down from Chicago and catch 70 thru parts of Kansas but it would be mostly flat and a long drive. But if you came to Salina and then south to Ok City or Wichita Falls TX you could go west and still see NM. Colorado would be great scenery since I live here but it could be slower if you pull a trailer and time could be the big thing. What part of the Canyon are you planning to stay around?

I would add that the Route 66 thing is inticing as some of what I have seen across NM and AZ was really interesting to me and I want to go and see more someday.

ok,got the final route worked out. Made my reservations today.Thanks to the few guys that piped in with some recomendations. Here's what I settled on.Leaving late June into
mid July,trip covers 19 days (that's all I could get off at one time). Taking the southern path over.Chicago to Joplin.Mo via 55 & 44,Joplin to Amarillo,Tx(dinner at the Big Texan,not the 72 ouncer) via 44 & 40. Swing southwest to Carlsbad,NM,northwest to Silver City,NM,northwest to Holbrook,AZ,West to Williams ,Az(south rim),west to Kingman,back east and north to Moab,UT,and back 70 towards Chicago. Can't wait for June.

ok,got the final route worked out. Made my reservations today.Thanks to the few guys that piped in with some recomendations. Here's what I settled on.Leaving late June into
mid July,trip covers 19 days (that's all I could get off at one time). Taking the southern path over.Chicago to Joplin.Mo via 55 & 44,Joplin to Amarillo,Tx(dinner at the Big Texan,not the 72 ouncer) via 44 & 40. Swing southwest to Carlsbad,NM,northwest to Silver City,NM,northwest to Holbrook,AZ,West to Williams ,Az(south rim),west to Kingman,back east and north to Moab,UT,and back 70 towards Chicago. Can't wait for June.

Looks like a great route and lots of good to see. Two of my step kids grew up in Kingman and I have been there twice. A coworker lived there at some point in time and a caution in being in town, they have a HUGE Meth problem and it has been known that an outsider can pull into town and they steal you blind in hours. SO watch your back and be careful there.
One stepdaughters ex lives there and works for the railroad and they are having a rough time keeping people because they fail the random drug tests. GIving up a good paying job because they cant live with life as it is so they get high.
I have been to I-40 west to Holbrook and Williams Flaggstaff area and they have some great sights and I know you like that part of the trip

Last edited:
Thanks,appreciate that feedback. A little google revealed a lot of what you said,you have any better reccomendations for alt places to stay(camping), Lake Havasu was a little further to the south but I may be able to make that work instead.

Last edited:
Back