• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

chicago auto show shows the lml duramax

stacks04

McLovin
Reaction score
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010/02/2011-chevrolet-silverado-heavy-duty-first-look-part-2.html

here is a snip-it from the article.
The SCR system uses diesel exhaust fluid, or DEF. The urea-based solution (32.5 percent industrial urea and 67.5 percent deionized water) is held in a 5.3-gallon storage tank and injected as a fine mist into the Duramax’s hot exhaust gases. The heat turns the urea into ammonia that, when combined with a special catalytic converter, breaks down the nitrogen oxide emissions into harmless nitrogen gas and water vapor.

The 2010 Ram Heavy Duty 2500 and 3500 pickup trucks with the 6.7-liter Cummins I-6 diesel don't require DEF. They use a scrubbing solution called an adsorber catalyst that uses precious metals like a catalytic converter to eliminate the pollutant. However, the Ram 3500/4500/5500 commercial cab chassis trucks do use SCR, like GM and Ford.

The DEF refill point for the Silverado HD is mounted under the hood of the engine instead of next to the diesel refueling cap on the side of the cargo box, as it is on the 2011 Super Duty.

Arvan said DEF will need to be replenished about every 5,000 miles, depending on duty cycle. An electric heating element inside the tank will thaw the fluid if it freezes.

"We didn't want to make the DEF tank larger because DEF has a shelf life of only about 12 months," Arvan said.

To ensure that the driver refills the DEF tank, Duramax-equipped trucks will warn the driver when the fluid is down to a 1,000-mile range. A series of start-up warnings — including lights, chimes and messages — will become more frequent until the tank is empty. When the DEF fluid is down to a 100-mile range, the truck will be limited to only 55 mph. As the range declines, so will the vehicle's top speed. If the driver continues to operate the truck with a dry DEF tank, after a final warning and restart, the truck will operate in a “limp home” mode that limits speed to just 5 mph until the tank is refilled.

have fun with that. i feel for the guys putting on serious mileage like that for business. that shit has got to be expensive.

Looks like I will be keeping my LB7 for a few more years....

On Edit: EFI Live will find a way to defeat this crapola

Last edited:
Exactly. That will be EFILive's new workaround.

Wow! Thats BS! Emissions controls or not, I do not want the EPA controlling my vehicles top speed because some damn exhaust fluid is running low. I'll stick with my 06.

This will be my next truck:

Attachments

• X11CT_SH003.jpg
    X11CT_SH003.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 13
Wow...bow down to the STILL KING of HD trucks...the other two imitators will be playing catchup...again:

* Segment-best fifth-wheel towing capacity of 20,000 pounds (9,072 kg)
* Segment-best conventional towing capacity increases up to 23 percent, with a maximum of 16,000 pounds (7,272 kg)
* Segment-best payload capability of 6,335 pounds (2,873 kg) on a complete vehicle
* Segment-best Gross Combined Weight Rating increases to 27,500 pounds (12,500 kg)
* Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings increases up to 17 percent to 13,000 pounds (5,909 kg)
* Front Axle Weight Rating increases by up to 25 percent to 6,000 pounds (2,721 kg)
* Snow plow capability is now enabled for all 4WD cab configurations

And you can get the 2011 HD in a regular-cab, short-box configuration WITH the D-MAX!

Wow...bow down to the STILL KING of HD trucks...the other two imitators will be playing catchup...again:

And you can get the 2011 HD in a regular-cab, short-box configuration WITH the D-MAX!

Yep. but only in 2wd.

I thought the DPF was bad this just takes it to a new extreme why wont they just let the trucks be it just adds more crap to go wrong and have to deal with. Not to mention the expense of buying this stuff.

Did you guys catch that they changed the bolt pattern on the wheels? They're 8-lug, but not 8 x 6.5". Hell... 8 x 6.5" has only been around since...wtf, the 40s or 50s? GM you stupid horses-asses.

All this emissions crap is really getting irritating. Like above stated, the DPF is bad enough, but now watered down piss in a 5 gallon jug? Then lets get the brilliant idea to FORCE you to come to the dealer to refill the piss jug otherwise you aint going over 5mph.

I'm sure the dealer is going to add there 800% mark up as well. I'll admit, the newer the trucks the nicer they get, but all the emissions crap is making it not even worth it from a performance standpoint. Looks aint everything. You would figure the auto makers would learn from the Prius hitting the sh!tter cause of all its electronics issues. Nope instead they add more.

Also, is it just me, or the the emblems look like they keep getting bigger on ALL of the trucks? Ford said that there new 2011 F super Dutys will have the "largest blue oval in the Ford Family", the dodge "Ram" is at least 3 times as big on the 2010 ram as it was on the 01' and GM looks like someone hit the enlarge button 3 times to many. What the hell?

All this emissions crap is really getting irritating. Like above stated, the DPF is bad enough, but now watered down piss in a 5 gallon jug? Then lets get the brilliant idea to FORCE you to come to the dealer to refill the piss jug otherwise you aint going over 5mph.

I'm sure the dealer is going to add there 800% mark up as well. I'll admit, the newer the trucks the nicer they get, but all the emissions crap is making it not even worth it from a performance standpoint. Looks aint everything. You would figure the auto makers would learn from the Prius hitting the sh!tter cause of all its electronics issues. Nope instead they add more.

UREA is not a dealer specific item. It's cost will be $2.50 a gallon.

Like I said before, I'm sure EFILive and other tuners will create a way to eliminate the UREA.

Also, is it just me, or the the emblems look like they keep getting bigger on ALL of the trucks? Ford said that there new 2011 F super Dutys will have the "largest blue oval in the Ford Family", the dodge "Ram" is at least 3 times as big on the 2010 ram as it was on the 01' and GM looks like someone hit the enlarge button 3 times to many. What the hell?
l
I like the new Emblems, looks great.

And about time they stepped up the wheel sizes like the other companies have.

UREA is not a dealer specific item. It's cost will be $2.50 a gallon.

Like I said before, I'm sure EFILive and other tuners will create a way to eliminate the UREA.

Well its good to know that its not dealer specific at least. But it could come back to bite the people who havent been following these updates on the LML and Powerstroke who go to the dealer and say "whats "low DEF" mean. At that point I think a majority of the first buyers would visit the dealer till they wised up and bought it elsewhere. I still think the dealer is going to keep the price nice and high on that stuff till they start to lose revenue. Its all about the supply and demand.

You guys sure have alot of faith in EFI live. They must really know what there doing with that stuff. Kudos to them :thumbsup:

Well its good to know that its not dealer specific at least. But it could come back to bite the people who havent been following these updates on the LML and Powerstroke who go to the dealer and say "whats "low DEF" mean. At that point I think a majority of the first buyers would visit the dealer till they wised up and bought it elsewhere. I still think the dealer is going to keep the price nice and high on that stuff till they start to lose revenue. Its all about the supply and demand.

You guys sure have alot of faith in EFI live. They must really know what there doing with that stuff. Kudos to them :thumbsup:

Yes, an excellent company that responds to our request. I'm sure they will add a button for us to delete the UREA as they did for the DPFs on the LMM models.

sorry, but I am not going to trust any engine that I have to piss in a bottle to keep it running...........

that brings up the question ...... how come it has to be cow piss? How come i can't just pee in the bottle ....... I can piss 5.3 gallons in 3 days.....

If you guys notice Pat (McRat) is posting in the comments below the article in response to the GM bashers...:thumbsup:

Back