• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chevy Solid axle swap

Check out my thread here in the suspension section. I appoligize for the lack of updates I've done to it but things have been incredibly busy and I keep forgetting to take pictures. Perhaps I'll put them up tonite in my thread. I plan on making a sort of "how to " once everything gets rolling on my swap so it can kinda ease people into realizing whats involved.

But in a nutshell?
-Your going to need an axle. Your best bet is the 77 to 79 era using a Dana 60. However a Dana 44HD(HD only), will do fine if you don't plan on making big power or running tires over 37's.
-Your going to want to rebuild that axle. Use all new seals. Replace the bearings and hubs, rotors and calipers as well as new pads. After that you can add goodies like Stronger Steering arms and Warn lockouts :D
-Your going to want to choose either 4 link or leaf spring. Leaf is easier to do and less expensive, but 4 link rides better. Of course a spring setup can ride just as well with minimal lift and lon springs.
-Steering will require a new drop pitman arm with the recommendation for crossover sterring. A straight axle with bumpsteer sucks IMHO.
-Shocks. There plently out there to choose from. Biggest thing is ensuring that they have plenty of room to travel. duel shocks arent necassary, but they ride well and look cool if you do them right.

You also need to consider your application. If your doing it just cause or for off roading.

Check out Joey Ds. He's got a nice setup, and I believe his front axle would easily withstand a direct hit from a nuclear warhead.

Check out Joey Ds. He's got a nice setup, and I believe his front axle would easily withstand a direct hit from a nuclear warhead.

Thats an understatement):h He's got the dynatrac pro rock Dana 60. Even the name alone just sounds intimidating.

Thats an understatement):h He's got the dynatrac pro rock Dana 60. Even the name alone just sounds intimidating.

If your interested:
http://www.dynatrac.com/

This is the company that Joey got his axle built by. This is THE place to go for straight axles. Both front and rear. They have just about everything you could possibly ask for in an axle. All the way up to a Dana 80 front axle.

If money isn't a concern, then go with them. You WONT be disapointed

This reminds me, I think my front axle is worth more than my truck:D
Dynatrac is probably the best company out there to buy an axle from and their work is outstanding to say the least.
I got a new upgrade for my truck last week and will be tearing the outers down on my axle to install them. I will post pics of the job and show what they are when I do it.

Back