• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chevy Cruze Diesel

Im getting .5 mpg less on LPG. I love it.
CNG around here has no infastructure yet. Can you believe only 3 public stations in Houston!! so until a home refueling unit is affordable I'll not be changing. GE is supossed to be developing a machine for $500 with the help of government. As it is now a good one is around $12000. I'll change to CNG if they actualy make the $500 one. My kit has capability to run CNG or LPG on its CPU (the hardware would need changed though).

Ahhhh. You guys forgot the FUN FACTOR! Diesels are much more fun. Come on guys. I'd take a diesel over any of the other options out there. :D

These Automakers keep Half Assing things.

Why won't they put a Manual in it? It's avail with the Gas Motor.

Same thing with the Audi A3. In the Gas Version, you can get it with AWD and 6-Speed. But if you want the Diesel Version, you can only get it with an Auto and FWD.

It doesn't make sense...

you sir just won my imaginary award for "post of the day". Long Live the manual transmission!

Im getting .5 mpg less on LPG. I love it.
CNG around here has no infastructure yet. Can you believe only 3 public stations in Houston!! so until a home refueling unit is affordable I'll not be changing. GE is supossed to be developing a machine for $500 with the help of government. As it is now a good one is around $12000. I'll change to CNG if they actualy make the $500 one. My kit has capability to run CNG or LPG on its CPU (the hardware would need changed though).

So that was a gas engine in the Titan converted to LPG? How hard was the conversion and how much did it cost? They charge $18 to $19 here to fill a 5 gallon propane canister for the barbecue. Unless I'm missing something, equivalent propane price is basically the same as gasoline here.

Yes the really need to work on the CNG infrastructure, or as you said, create home model fueling units.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/02/06/a-key-year-for-natural-gas-transportation.aspx

A Key Year for Natural Gas Transportation
By Travis Hoium | More Articles
February 6, 2013 | Comments (0)

The chicken-or-egg conundrum that once plagued the natural gas transportation industry is slowly fading as a wide infrastructure is built and more vehicles hit the roads.

Clean Energy Fuels, Chesapeake Energy, and General Electric are leading the infrastructure charge, building a nationwide natural gas infrastructure. In 2013, Westport Innovations and Cummins are teaming up to deliver the next-generation of natural gas engines, another key step for the industry.

If natural gas is a big player in the future of transportation, then this is the year when we will start to see progress.

Clean Energy Fuels is poised to be a big winner if trucking fleets make the switch to natural gas this year

Ahhhh. You guys forgot the FUN FACTOR! Diesels are much more fun. Come on guys. I'd take a diesel over any of the other options out there. :D

:skep: It's fun right until you have the bottom line to watch. Then you run the cheapest fuel you can biased on cost per mile. CNG would be great except for the range towing isn't high enough without more tanks. Factory Dodge CNG range or most conversions won't do 550 miles towing. No stations out in the sticks.

CNG is like $2.49 a gas gal equivalent at the airport. $2.10 is the lowest price in Phx. Diesel is $3.93.

That said CNG towing would not pay off at those prices. The 4.7 Dodge V8 is a thirsty engine towing getting 6MPG on gas. The 6.5 in stock form get 7 MPG. Most modern diesels and a modified 6.5 get at least 10 MPG. So cutting the MPG in half from diesel to use CNG has to be less than 1/2 the cost for the fuel. The Factory CNG 5.7 Hemi may do better than the 4.7 loaded on gas or CNG.

Unloaded hands down the MPG is close enough that CNG wins due to lower cost.

Valves have to be different for the dry CNG so the conversion is a little more involved if done right. Heads (valve seats) and valves need to be changed.

A dedicated higher compression CNG engine would be interesting if it got better MPG towing or not.

So that was a gas engine in the Titan converted to LPG? How hard was the conversion and how much did it cost? They charge $18 to $19 here to fill a 5 gallon propane canister for the barbecue. Unless I'm missing something, equivalent propane price is basically the same as gasoline here.

Yes 5.6L gas. Convertion is easy in this application just takes time on the first one with the learning curve. Cost of the kit is $1399-$1500 Then you have to buy a tank (or I can supply one cost depends on what you need) I bought mine off Craigslist for $200 with about 10 gallons in it. Its a 35 gallon tank, but will only hold 28-30 gallons for safty reasons.
If you do convert it only makes since to buy "road gas" or "road fuel" If you buy bottled LPG you will pay the higher price.
Here Im charged $1.89 per gallon and should be getting $.50 per gallon rebate on my tax return. I also have to prepay the sales tax (in Texas) it was $42 for the year and is based on a teir system. More wieght and miles driven increases your tax per year.

There are other benefits to LPG also, cleaner engine oil, longer drain intervals, better for environment, domestic fuel source.....ect

Not sure about needing upgraded valves and valve seats but there is a cng or propane stop in the 3 local towns in go to and we have 50 Gallon capacity on our truck and it can switch to gas with the push of a button so 400 miles towing on propane in doable and finish the trip on gasoline. That still translates to cost savings you could add another 30 gal tank and have the capacity you need. Our get one large tank to reduce weight.

Sent from: Source Unknown

http://www.cleanvehicle.org/committee/technical/PDFs/Convert_Your_Vehicle_Safely_Final.pdf

Engine designs that are durable when operated on gasoline may experience rapid valve wear when operated on natural gas.
OEM certified CNG vehicles have special components (such as hardened valve seats and valves) but most converted vehicle engines do not. Generally speaking, OEM
engine manufacturers may not honor the engine warranty against wear of valves in gasoline engines that are converted to CNG.

Less of an issue with Propane I suppose? Most people say highmile propane trucks have the cleanest engine interals around.

How about those Diesel Chevy Cruse's! Trying to keep on topicish lol.

Can anyone having the Chevy Cruze Diesel report any long term results? I am still very interested. I would like to see the 4 cylinder diesel in the new Colorado. I still think diesel is the wave of the future.

Last edited:
Back