• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chevy Cruze Diesel

Disappointed, yet I expected it at the same time. It's rated at the same mpg as the current Cruze Eco package. From a general consumer standpoint why pay all the extra money for an engine that costs more to fuel up at the pump? Unfortunately I see it not lasting long as an option.

Hope I'm wrong.

It does not seem that bad to me. It ranks equal to the VW diesel in numbers, and has far more power than the Cruze Eco. The video stated 42 mpg minimum, still in testing. Once again, the DPF smog equipment is killing the performance. The diesel should be much better for longevity than the turbo gasser. I am patiently waiting the arrival.

These Automakers keep Half Assing things.

Why won't they put a Manual in it? It's avail with the Gas Motor.

Same thing with the Audi A3. In the Gas Version, you can get it with AWD and 6-Speed. But if you want the Diesel Version, you can only get it with an Auto and FWD.

It doesn't make sense...

I'm guessing no manual has to do with fudging the CAFE numbers more than anything else.

I didn't even pick up on the no manual transmission part. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more diesel cars running around. Problem is the general population doesn't understand the real difference between diesel and gas. They are going to look at Cruze Eco rated at 42 mpg or Cruze diesel rated at 42 mpg yet it costs 1,000's more to buy and the price of diesel is higher at the pump. Plus I imagine most people in northern climates who aren't diesel enthusiasts still will believe they are impossible to start in the winter. Where's the incentive for the "casual" buyer to get the diesel? They better do some major educational marketing if they truly want to make this work.

I know it's EPA screwing things up, but why isn't this diesel powered car getting 50 or 60 mpg? If you can squeeze 40 out of a gas, you should be able to get significantly more out of a diesel.

I'm betting the engine is made by Opel in Germany. Drove a 2.0 diesel powered Opel from Geneva to Venice back in 2001. Nice running car and economical.

I think the engineers like the fact that the computer controls shift points to optimize everything. Like the Allison's in our trucks. One can't get a manual anymore. I would feel much better off getting a manual in a diesel Cruze myself. On the other hand, automatics have come a long way with the locking converters and all.

Any chance keeping the manual transmission off a diesel is to avoid emissions during the shift...kinda like rev hang on my Jetta?

Some other articles I read about it.

About the engine.

About the Cruze.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment here, why the limited options? Why cut corners when introducing a new product to US consumers? I do appreciate the re-introduction of diesel into the GM CAR market, it is long overdue.

I'm glad GM is bringing it back, but they're way behind. VW is rolling out a lot of TDI's, as many as they can get engines for. They are available with manual or auto trans.

Audi is making the A6, A7, A8 sedans and Q5 SUV diesels available over here in the next year in addition to the A3 (Golf) and Q7 (Touraeg), VW has the Jetta, Golf, Beetle, Passat and Touraeg TDI's. I just hope the Demand for diesel means they ramp up the production of the fuel...

Too little too late. Will be short lived. GM is still recovering from the 5.7 Olds mess. And the DPF mess makes this car not for short commuters.
I hope they train their techs better on them - hell they can barley fix the gas engines with all the emissions and computers screwing up randomly.

The cost of fuel and higher upfront cost is making current diesels a poor choice let alone a brand new one. Even under heavy load MPG and fuel costs are starting to break even gas vs. diesel.

Sadly, the future is in the cheap natural gas. Just no incentive to get CNG stations out there.

Just did the math based on fuelly averages of Passats, the average gas 5 cyl gets about 27 mpg, versus 39 MPG in our TDI, it's still $1k a year fuel savings at our 34k miles a year in it. Pretty significant. However, if the Cruze Eco and Diesel are similar mileage, you'll have to own the car for 250k to get the savings, and it won't be in fuel.

In the current diesel light trucks, the initial cost of the rig, on going maintenance, cost of diesel, just doesn't seem to justify the choice over gas engines anymore.

It used to be that diesel engines blew away gas engines in efficiency. I believe the numbers were that IDI diesels converted 38% of the available energy in the fuel, direct injection bumped that to 40%. The best gas engines were down in the low 30% range. With improvements on the gas engines, that gap has closed up. Then consider the difference in fuel cost between gas and diesel, plus the maintenance costs of the modern diesels and the benefits of diesel disappear.

If I take my '99 Suburban with 6.5 and compare it's mileage to the same Suburban powered by the 7.4 gasser, it blows the gasser away. The difference is even better when towing. That's why I intend to keep the thing going as long as possible. The engine is too simple to work on and the truck is cheap to keep.

Yeah, comparing my LBZ to my cousins 2013 K2500 6.0L that gets 10mpg highway/dd non towing and I get 15mpg working the dog chit out of mine I still win as long as he runs on gas, when he switches to propane GAME OVER, + $.50/gal back in tax if records are kept right and the Dmax runs like a scared pup.

15mpg @ 3.78/gal = $0.252/mile vs 9mpg @ $1.71/gal(1.21 w/ tax back) = $0.134/mile! CNG is very similar so you decide if a diesel is worth it...

We know he gets 5-8mpg doing the same work my truck does, he used to have an 03 IDENTICAL to my 06 but w/ 6.0 and the new ones get the same highway MPG. Even at 1/3-1/2 my mpg his $/mile is less on propane. 5mpg @ $1.21/gal = $0.242/mile and still less mainenence & urea injection on new models

For the sake of a fighting chance my 95 6.5l is at $0.198/mile @ 18.6mpg and my average is slowly creeping up!

Guys like us with diesel in our veins are getting the shaft...

OT just alittle and touching on what Tanner said.
I just converted my Titan to Propane. Gas around here is $3.25ish, Propane is $1.40

Oh yeah! I'm still excited to see what the cruze brings to the plate for a domestic diesel car. The fiancee and I were talking about car options the other day and she said she would drive a diesel car, CNG/Propane Truck, diesel burb if she got to pick the options, or keep her tin can Altima 32mpg average so no complaints really. She likes the Dmax alittle too much and doesnt mind the 6.5's (just gotta get her trained to a 5speed)

I'd like a domestic option for the diesel car category or maybe a diesel crossover w/ 3rd row seating. Picking up and buckling kids in a low car sucks IMO.

OT just alittle and touching on what Tanner said.
I just converted my Titan to Propane. Gas around here is $3.25ish, Propane is $1.40

What's the mileage rating on propane vs gas?

I would think that with all the fracking going on for natural gas that CNG would become the way to go. I know the Cummins has a JV with Westport to build big truck engines that run on CNG. They're hoping to replace Diesel engines with these.

Our 6.0 gets .5-1.5 less on propane, actually got 11.5 on mostly pane the other day 80% propane/ 20% gas on a 600mile run @ 85mph.

Back