• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chevy 2.4 ecotec

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So I recently did a timing chain, balance chain, waterpump on a 2011 malibu. Biggest pain on the whole job was the water pump. They make a special tool for doing it without removing the timing cover but I don't know as I'd want to tackle that. The waterpump bolts to the engine side of the timing cover and then there's a steel pipe that runs the length of the block to the thermostat. Getting that loose is an exercise in dexterity. When I pulled the timing cover off parts of one of the guides fell out. It was missing one guide bolt and 2 others were worn pretty badly. 20240215_123616.jpg20240215_123659.jpg20240222_102448.jpg20240222_112618.jpg20240222_112714.jpg20240222_171057.jpg
Got it back together and it runs pretty good. I believe the bolt that was missing was not reinstalled by someone else. Threads were good and with the access plug in there isn't enough room to back all the way out. I did fish around in the oil pan but didn't find anything.

WOW.
That looks to be quite a chore.
Now I’m thinking I should get the repair book for the wifeys 08 Maliblue and see what special tools it would take to change timing chain, ETC on that engine.
I’m not sure what size it is. 3.5 maybe ? Guess I should look sometime.

Back