• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Check your tire pressure!

merlin5577

Diesel > Gasoline
Reaction score
Alright guys its getting cold out now and air constricts as it gets cold, so the pressure will normally drop. Be safe out there and make sure your pressures are up to snuff.

At minimum, check your pressures once a month.

:cheers2:

The tires don't lose air necessarily, but the air has less pressure due to the fact that it is moving slower. I agree, check pressures once a month, minimum.

The tires don't lose air necessarily, but the air has less pressure due to the fact that it is moving slower. I agree, check pressures once a month, minimum.

Correct. And the opposite is also true, in the summer the pressure will be higher, thats why its so important to check them.

Stay safe guys!

What is the benefit of this Ray? Does the pressure stay more constant? I know the gas is more dense than air, and thus does not seep out through the rubber, but what other benefits are there?

Atmospheric air contains 78% Nitrogen. ):h

The only times I have seen where filling the tires with nitrogen might be of "some" help would be race cars and aircrafts.

Still even those, cannot fill their tires with 100% nitrogen unless they suck a huge vacuum to evacuate all the air inside the tire prior to filling it with Nitrogen. Unless you securely lock the beads on the wheel, it is impossible to draw much of a vacuum without breaking the bead seal.

As far as I am concerned, the whole Nitrogen bit is nothing but a big scam by tire stores to get more money from their customers. What do you do when you check your tire pressure while on the road? You add air to the tire. - There goes the Nitrogen theory out the window.

The average customer will never see a benefit by filling their tires with Nitrogen. As long as you have a way to remove moisture from the air used to inflate the tires, you won't see any real difference vs. inflating with Nitrogen.

Ah, ya screwing with me huh? :D :D :D

I didn't know that is why I was asking. The car dealerships around here try and sell the "tire pressure stays more constant, thus giving you better tire wear and fuel mileage" theory. Just curious to see if there was any benefit to it.

Just make sure you check your tire pressures at least once a month and you should be fine. :)

On trips I try to check it daily (In the morning) and every time I get back in the truck after a fuel or pit stop, I do a quick walk around and visually check the tires.

Back