• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Check your balls!

Faye Glad you and everyone around you are alright!

Is that a horse trailer? If it is, good thing it appears empty!

Did anyone find at the scene the chains defective or not latched correctly/ crossed?

:confused:Makes me wonder what good are the chains if they don't at least hold up to what they were designed for.

Faye...glad you were not hurt...thanks for the heads up, seriously!

I chacked all three of my reciever balls, and the Curt Gooseneck Ball (welded...but checked for cracks). I think it is a good policy to check them prior to any use...and I am as complacent as the next one...:D

glad everyone was ok i try to check mine everytime but after reading this ill be sure to check

man that sucks...glad your ok.....def a good idea to check on trailer equipment from time to time....I used to have the pintle/ball style hitch....one day during inspection I noticed the top jaw of the pintle hitch said "8 ton" and the ball was stamped 7000 lbs......fine for towing my trailers with a 2" ball...not so fine towing the trailers that weigh 12k and up....switched out to a dedicated pintle hitch rated for 8ton.....

Faye Glad you and everyone around you are alright!

Is that a horse trailer? If it is, good thing it appears empty!

Did anyone find at the scene the chains defective or not latched correctly/ crossed?

:confused:Makes me wonder what good are the chains if they don't at least hold up to what they were designed for.

It is what they call a stock trailer. And yes it is empty. We never haul livestock. Too much trouble in my opinion.

When we pick up the trailers, the manufacturer has already installed a receiver on the first trailer. They have brackets on this to hook the chains to.
These brackets are what broke when the ball came off. The chains were hooked properly and the actual chains held up, just not what I had to hook them to:sad:

Losing a trailer and the possiblity of theft are why I always spot welded mine. In over 35 years, never had one come loose!

Wow we cant tow tandem in Canada with out Commercial Plates and a A Licence. Same as a transport truck.
And My Wife thought I was Crazy Buying Chains rated for 6000# on a 2000# trailer.

Actually, it depends on where you are in Canada, just like the USA... we can tow tandem in Alberta without a commercial plates or a Class 1 (got both, but don't need 'em here) ... this is the Wild West; anybody can buy a Toyota Tundra, put a 12' camper on it, hook up a 24' Box Trailer for the (4) Quads, put the 17' boat on the back of that, and then stop traffic on every friggin hill all day long.

Pull the same thing into BC and SWAT gets you down on your face on the side of the road while they impound your stuff... we're a great source of revenue for them.

I like a little play in my balls:smilewinkgrin:

seriously, glad everyone is okay and thanks for the heads up... I am checking mine when I get home....

mine has a hole below the nut for a cotter key. i also put a lock washer on mine after my last trip when i got back and could turn it by hand.

This reminds me why I have a 24" Cresent wrench with a 4' cheater bar.

I borrowed my buddies 20' travel tralier one time and found that both bolts for the height adjustment and the anti sway ball were about ready to fall off. That crap makes me nervious, I hope I never have to go through that if I can help it.

Thanks for sharing though, it serves as a powerfull reminder to all of use about checking the basics. :thumbsup:

Back in my college days, I was towing a U-haul trailer from Southern Illinois to Upstate NY. Somewhere on I-71, I noticed that the trailer would make a "clunk" sound every time I changed speeds. I pulled over to check it out. The ball was there, but the nut was GONE!
It was three in the morning, probably 10 or more miles to the next exit. There was NO Way that I was going to leave that U-haul there!There was a full set of Snap_On tools & a fresh 425 HP 396 BB Chevy engine in it. I was wondering what I could do, when I noticed an overpass about 1/4 mile up the road. I took a 16" Cresent & checked it out. Would you believe that the railings were held on by the exact size nut that I needed? :smilewinkgrin:(The statute of limitations expired long ago!):seeya:

Back in my college days, I was towing a U-haul trailer from Southern Illinois to Upstate NY. Somewhere on I-71, I noticed that the trailer would make a "clunk" sound every time I changed speeds. I pulled over to check it out. The ball was there, but the nut was GONE!
It was three in the morning, probably 10 or more miles to the next exit. There was NO Way that I was going to leave that U-haul there!There was a full set of Snap_On tools & a fresh 425 HP 396 BB Chevy engine in it. I was wondering what I could do, when I noticed an overpass about 1/4 mile up the road. I took a 16" Cresent & checked it out. Would you believe that the railings were held on by the exact size nut that I needed? :smilewinkgrin:(The statute of limitations expired long ago!):seeya:

now that's using your resources!!

Glad to see everyone is ok, the trailer can be replaced.

BTW, I have a 97 Sundowner Executive 3 horse Gooseneck trailer for sale and ready to delivery if you want to take that in place of the one that was lost.

Tony

Back