• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Check engine code

Merv

Reaction score
Hi guys

While the wife was out and about with my Suburban yesterday, the CEL came on, and stayed on (no, not her fault :) ). I went out again later to get some groceries (and a OBD reader:agreed:) On the way home the light went out and stayed out. Been out and about today and the light never came on again.
A few minutes ago got around to retrieving the code and it came up with p0236. Definition says the following;

P0236 Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

Not not too sure what that actually means, can anyomne enlighten me further? Wherabouts is the boost sensor? Difficult to replace? Cost?

Thanks in advance

it's simply telling you your boost is out of range. I'd suspect low boost if all is stock. Check to see how much vacuum you have at the waste gate diaphram while the engine is idling. should be 20+, if lower check it at the vacuum pump itself. if it's fine check it at wastegate solenoid (pass side valve cover) should be the same on both sides (in and out). vacuum lines could be cracked giving intermittent vacuum as well

It is not a major code.

If everything checks ok, it probably need the turbo boost solenoid which is easy to replace and cost around $30 or thereabouts.
Unless it is not stock anymore.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yup, she is stock. My wife tells me she thinks the light came on after she was merging onto the highway and had to accelerate hard (because some jerk was trying to block her)

Back