• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

cheap gear vendor

Detroit Dan

Reaction score
Don't know where this belongs, but I thought I'd start here and let the mods kick it where they want it. I just found this, would buy it in a second but I'm not sure if I can use it with a 4wd. It's an 86 2wd 3/4 ton with a 454, th400 and gear vendors overdrive. I think if I bought it I could part the truck out, take enough good stuff off it for the 82, then sell the motor and do all right. What do you think? Can I put that gear vendor on my th400/np205?
http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1887790006.html

Last edited:
IIRC the "Base" GV unit can be adapted to fit most applications by changing a few parts from GV. I would check with them and see. That is a good price.

thats what I thought. seems like Id have to buy about $700 worth of parts, then shorten up the rear drveshaft. truck seems nice enough that I'd hate to actually part it out. Maybe just drive it for a while then throw it on ebay and make a buck. Although it would be nice to have a GV in my 82. Maybe if I sold off the 454 and some other parts, I can use the nose, the bed is probably worth $3-500 if it's as nice as it looks. And metals high, whole trucks worth $3-400 at the scrapyard without the motor. He said it gets 15 mpg towing 10k! I emailed him and was 3rd on the list, just got bumped up to 2nd after 1st guy bailed out. If it makes it to me I think I'll buy it and work out the details later. Also, it has wicked low miles, like 77k I think he said. What a steal. Would be my dream truck except I'm not a big fan of 2wds.

From what I read on the gear venders OD unit. It goes behind the transfer case. The biggest thing to worry about is how you put it all in. There is supposed to be safty lock outs for the 4wd unit so you cant be in OD and 4wd at the same time. Because if you did your front axle would want to run out from undernieth the truck and leave the rear axle under the truck. which would be good.

Back