• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Charging Problem

NVW

Reaction score
This is on a Patrick Forklift with a Chrysler charging system from the 70's to 80's with the transistor volt reg.

I have ign volts to the ign terminal of the voltage regulator through to one brush terminal, the other brush also reads the same volts. The alt. is good, If I ground out the second field terminal(brush), it charges. I've tried another used alt and a new one. All three will charge with the grounding of the field terminal.

Everything points to the v reg, I've bought two new ones and still no charge. Could the new "Made in China" v reg's be NFG?

Am I missing something else, I know there is a Ballast Resistor but does it have a function for the charging or just the ign. coil?

Last edited:
Possible wrong V regulator being given to you. Check wires as one may have corroded or burnt up. Bad ground to v reg case? Bad ground from remote vreg to engine via a bad ground strap? Possible shorted field coil popping regulators like popcorn.

Batteries test good? Low voltage may prevent the regulator from turning on.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/Dodge_Chrysler_external_voltage_regulator_wiring.htm

Worst case - why are you messing around with a POS external voltage regulator? Seriously get rid of it! Get a 1980's SI GM alternator out of a junkyard, test it, convert it to a 1 wire if you like and be done with it. The SI alternators only need an Ignition 12 v signal through a lamp to work normally and the field sense wire can be tied to the output terminal.

Possible wrong V regulator being given to you. Check wires as one may have corroded or burnt up. Bad ground to v reg case? Bad ground from remote vreg to engine via a bad ground strap? Possible shorted field coil popping regulators like popcorn.

Batteries test good? Low voltage may prevent the regulator from turning on.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/Dodge_Chrysler_external_voltage_regulator_wiring.htm

Worst case - why are you messing around with a POS external voltage regulator? Seriously get rid of it! Get a 1980's SI GM alternator out of a junkyard, test it, convert it to a 1 wire if you like and be done with it. The SI alternators only need an Ignition 12 v signal through a lamp to work normally and the field sense wire can be tied to the output terminal.

Correct volt reg., they used the same for many years, new ground strap & battery.

I went through the alt. and everything checks out, also 2 others were tried.

I have thought about converting to a GM alt, maybe I will.

Thanks

They went to internal regulators to get away from wires and connectors. Even though this exposed the regulators to more extreme heat and failures the trade off for less wires and connections to fail was worth it. This regulator connection likely is where the problem is. Ext Voltage Regulator getting +12v as well? I think you are down to wires and connectors.

The first external regulator I worked on was a B1000 Pickup for a friend. Alt shop said the alt and regulator was toast. Mess of wires going between them. Junkyard, greased the end frame roller bearing on a SI alt and never had to mess with the charging system on it again.

Thanks WW, you got me thinking. I had checked all wires several times.

The problem was in the volt. reg. plug, if I turned it to face me it had volts coming from the alt. field terminal but if I turned it to plug it in, it lost connection. The receptacle was broken in the plug.

Happy days, it's been pi$$ing me off for awhile.

Just a picture to show the problem

Attachments

• SA400803.jpg
    SA400803.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 4
Back