• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changing over the clutch fan

Bigburban

Reaction score
I am going to change my fan clutch and fan over to the Duramax fan set up but I was wanting to know if anyone has done this on a suburban and has there been any clearance issues? The new fan setup is 21 inches mine is 20 inches but my shroud messures 22 inches. With a plastic fan blade isn't there going to be a little flexing?

I've heard alot of people have to trim the shroud
Yea thats what I am afraid of but the other 20 inch fan upgrade is a 140.00 more. I was hoping to find out if someone has done it without trimming the shroud. I would rather not spend the extra money but will instead of all that trimming.

Mines not a Sub, but I did go with the 02 DMax fan blade. I did have to trim the upper shroud only, but it was real easy. I used my saber saw and it took me about 10 minutes, including removing the upper shroud. I didn't need to trim very much. Looking at it from the usual position when you have just opened the hood you can't even tell it has ever been modified.

Too bad you weren't close to me, I'd help.

Don

I've done it (the D-Max 21" Blade swap) and I've heard that most do not have to trim the shroud.....But what do I know?:skep:

FYI/BTW...Most of the time if you have to trim your shroud, it's usually do to bad motor mounts, or something else thats out of whack.

I did not have to mod my fan shroud with bad engine mounts, and still did not after engine and, ahem, engine mount replacement.

Use a power tool and it will be a cake job IF you need to trim it. The Dmax fan has a steeper pitch to move more air at lower RPM. It may slip the clutch more, but, it works better at low RPM moving more air - colder AC is one benefit. It isn't till you get up in RPM that fan clutch slip makes a difference.

Mines not a Sub, but I did go with the 02 DMax fan blade. I did have to trim the upper shroud only, but it was real easy. I used my saber saw and it took me about 10 minutes, including removing the upper shroud. I didn't need to trim very much. Looking at it from the usual position when you have just opened the hood you can't even tell it has ever been modified.

Too bad you weren't close to me, I'd help.

Don

You mean you don't want to drive 2000 or more miles to help me out! LOL

You mean you don't want to drive 2000 or more miles to help me out! LOL

Wish I could afford to. I've never been in that part of the country and would love to see it.

Just for clarification, I might not have needed to trim the shroud. I had just shy of 1/4" clearance between the fan and shroud at the very top. I just wasn't comfortable with that so I went ahead and trimmed.

Don

When I first installed it, it just cleared. I could hear it rub a little on tight turn. Readjusted top shroud a little, but didn't help. I just took off top half and trimmed those two ribs about 1/16 to 1/8 inch. I used a Dremel with a sanding drum. Took a bout a minute. Then scraped the plastic curls away and reinstalled. Could also use a semi round coarse file; it'll just take 10 minutes instead. Don't get carried away; a little is plenty. If yours does rub a little, it'll leave rub marks on the shroud lip so you know where to trim. Check clearance whole way around upper half to see how tight rest may be. Bottom of shroud had more room on mine, so didn't need any trimming.

Back