• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Challenger R/T - 30k mile report...

Unit453

Cruises comfortably at 140...
Administrator
Reaction score
It's been 3 years, almost and I just hit 31k miles. I thought I'd do a quick write up on my 30k mile report and how this car has treated me this far.

Oil:

I've used basically whatever's on sale, synthetic wise. I'm not an oil whore and have no specific brand that I stick with. I've used Amsoil, Valvoline, Mobile 1 and the current, Castrol synthetic fluids. I've noticed more 'ticking' on cold start ups with Castrol than with any of the three. I think I'll be switching back to Mobile 1 when I'm due again. I change oil and filter at every 6k miles.

Tires:

The stock Goodyears lasted me 22k miles and were complete slicks. Enough that at 18-22k miles on them, I could no longer maintain traction at WOT in 2nd gear, reaching speeds above 75 mph. The ass end started to break loose after 60 and it got kinda hairy at times. Anything above 4500 rpms and it was all over. Those tires pretty much sucked and I will never buy them again. I've switched to Hankook Ventus V12, in a 255/45/20, are nice and fat and super sticky. I'll be lucky to get 25k out of these but they're wearing much better already and I've already rotated them. Besides, I think they look cool and have a nice tread pattern. I can still get a chirp between 1st and 2nd with sticky tires at WOT.

Engine:

I had always been a GM guy my whole life until this thing. I had no idea just how potent these engines really were. A bone stock 5.7 makes anywhere between 320-340 hp to the wheels on a dyno. I've been running a Diablo Sport canned 91 octane, CAI tune since week two after owning the car. 3750 miles, according to Dodge, the engine is 'broken in' and variable valve timing is engaged. These motors make incredible power up at the top of their power band. I'm now running a custom tune, and with my mods listed, 'should' be around 370 rwhp, or around ~420 at the crank. The shorty headers made a HUGE difference with low end beans and mid band acceleration. It simply gets up and goes WAY easier than before. Stock power levels are 375 hp and 410 lb ft.

Being Captain Wishy Washy with exhaust, I couldn't make up my mind. I initially bought a set of Jones Full Boar, which are nothing more than Flowmaster knock offs and had Ferman weld them in for me. It sounded good but the drone drove me ballistic and I couldn't hack it anymore. The drone at 1500 rpms, which incidentally, was right at cruising rpm, killed it for me completely. I researched, and researched, and researched some more. I finally came up with Dynomax VTs. These mufflers are EVERYTHING they're advertised to be. They're s straight through design, flow well, and have a flap that opens and closes based on exhaust flow. Now, it is super mellow, deep, throaty and quiet cruising around town, even on the interstate. But at WOT, it sounds downright mean and ferocious but isn't overbearing. No drone at all and I'd recommend them to anyone.

I went with a Volant intake because I liked the idea of an enclosed airbox. K&N garbage will never be on any of my vehicles. The box also has a scoop that sucks up air from underneath the car. The only downside is that it gets dirty quick and requires cleaning frequently.

Brakes:

My stock rotors warmed at 4k miles. I replaced them with a set of R1 Premium drilled and slotted with ceramic pads. Two years later, I've been very happy with them.

Reliability:

This car has been 100% reliable. It's never had an issue with anything other than a wheel speed sensor that was fixed under warranty. I've never quite fell in love with any vehicle like I have with this one. This 5.7 is a potent plant and can pretty much rape 90% of traffic on the road. I blacked out the grille and debadged it. I'm not a huge fan of the chrome clad rims and I'd like to paint them black - Mainly with Plasti-Dip. I've also become a huge fan of silver. It's easy to keep clean and never really looks dirty.

The bottom line is, it's been an awesome car and I would by another in a heart beat.

Pics attached for viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 13
  • 121.jpg
    121.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 16
Couple more:

Attachments

• 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 4
  • 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 126.jpg
    126.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 5
  • 571.jpg
    571.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 5
Glad to hear that your car is serving you well. :thumbsup: I wish you continued good luck with it. I like the can of lager in the photo. :lmao:

My sister has a older Silver SRT8 Charger. Has ~50K on it and is a 07-08 iirc. The worst beating my truck has ever had was proving it could drift any corner her car could and being she was 17 and I was 24 losing was not an option lol.

Love that car and if it still in 1/2 as good of shape when she wants to sell it as its in now I might buy it for myself. I got her the deal on it and took it for the test drive. My dads '12 2500 hemi is pretty nice compared to his 5.4L ford, it might even beat a 6.0L GM.

I'm not sure yet. Some days, I think yes, others, I want to trade in for an SRT-8. I have a bit of equity in it right now so I'm really not sure. I'll probably have it for another year or so, unless I stumble across a deal I cant refuse.

It's looking just as good as it was when we met up in Orlando, Nick ... you must not be driving it enough!

Glad it's being good to you.

Jim behind the wheel!

It must be better now. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0715A.jpg
    IMG_0715A.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0717A.jpg
    IMG_0717A.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 71
No Fred, I've totally forgotten about winter time. Thanks for reminding me.

Stock Goodyears... :shiiiiiite:
Can't believe you left them on that long.
I put a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's on my Trailblazer SS. AA dry traction summer tire. They would hook in a carwash. Got crazy with them in the rain and they held. Lasted 15K and were worth every penny. Constant down at the track as well. Separated a set of Cooper Zeons and used Toyo's at the end.

Nice ride indeed there Nick, great to hear from you. Your car has to be a rocket ship, I have driven a few Chargers and I was very impressed with what power they had in stock form.

Your department having any issues with cams and lifters in the Chargers?

Glad to hear your enjoying it still, as I've aged I've found it hard to keep interest in vehicle long term.

Back