• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ceramic coatings

sshewins

Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with ceramic coatings here? Jet-hot, VHT rattle can spray, various private shops, etc... Do they really work as claimed? Are underhood temps really reduced and by how much? Lot, little. Do they hold up to use?

I do know a few race shops and custom rod shops that have it done and swear by it, I don't think they use the store bought can stuff. I myself haven't tried it just yet but I am getting ready to, still getting my oven set up, I am going to use gas for the heating instead of electric. I know you can purchase the real stuff inline and spray it and bake it, I think turbonator has done a good bit of it their self.

I use a shop in Berlin, CT for all of the coatings needed. between the high temp stuff on the piston tops and super slippery stuff on the skirts it can get pricey. for the intakes and exhaust stuff they are very reasonable with good turn around time. just have to watch the aluminum parts as they produce a lot of gases that will/can harm the finish and make it look like sand paper rather than the nice smooth look.

as for reduction in temps not real sure; but I do know that we have picked up 15 hp by just going to a coated set of headers from regular uncoated ones.

Have sent a couple of sets of headers out for Jet-Hot in the past. Looks great and holds up real well.

Bt, where do you send your stuff? There was a shop in Carol Stream that did powder coating and ceramic coating, but I think he closed his shop. Well, maybe he moved.

I've had motorcycle headers ceramic coated before.

20 years later, they look like the day I pulled them out of the box.

The bike has been sitting outside for almost 5 years now (abandoned project).

I had a set of headers cerama coated and it didn't last 6 months before rust was showing thru. Sent them back under warranty and same story. I didn't bother again

they were hooker headers and I sent them to a well known, at least thru advertising, shop. Can't remember the name of it anymore it was in the late 80s. Got screwed by both hooker and the coating shop the headers came with the mounting flanges so screwed up I had to have them surfaced to get them flat enough to seal. the coating was ajoke I could have done as good with a high temp paint

"got screwed by both hooker" haha that really mad me laugh when i read that lol

Perhaps in the 80s the technology wasnt what it is now?

Bt, where do you send your stuff? There was a shop in Carol Stream that did powder coating and ceramic coating, but I think he closed his shop. Well, maybe he moved.

I sent them to Jet-Hot in OK city. I saw some done by others that didn't hold up. Theirs does.

Swain Tech. I stumbled across a street racer/ricer forum while looking into ceramics and they seem to think swain tech has the most efficient and durable ceramic coatings. I don't think they look all that hot (no pun intended), so that's why I thought I'd ask you guys.

most all the high performance Cummins guys use SwainTech...I used them for my piston coating as well...had them put the best(goldcoat)ceramic on the tops and moly the skirts...

swaintech3.jpg

i had 20-30 headers and exhaust systems done by a powdercoating shop in burlington wis,you need to do this to new parts and cem wash and sand blast them first,them coat the inside and outside,they look shiny ,till you fire up the engine after that they look like satiny aluminum,you can pour gas on hot-running headers and it wont catch fire,hold your hand 2'' away while running and feel no heat[but you will get burned if you touch]

Back