• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Center mount turbo

Better yet how about some one make and sell in kits?

A guy would half to find a turbo that works well and fits nice. Then get pre bent pieces build a jig and weld it all up for selling. But Depening on the time invested if it would be worth what you would make selling is how I look at it

Thot about selling a "kit". But the work involved, even after having all the parts... yeah. Not as easy as bolting on an att. From rerouting oil cooler lines, to drilling and tapping holes in the block to bolt the bottom part of the mount to. It is not easy. But, I like to think center mount is the reason I can spool an hx55 almost as fast as my super40.

With a limited and diminishing market out there nobody would invest in the tooling for it. Even if it IS the right direction to take...

With a limited and diminishing market out there nobody would invest in the tooling for it. Even if it IS the right direction to take...

That basically sums it up.

Also, the 6.5 is a "cheap" diesel. Most of the people who own them aren't willing to spend what it would take to do this.

Out of curiosity where did you get a T4 flange to weld onto the new crossover pipes?

U can justs get em cut by a water jet. I used 3/8s plate it dident wrap at all. I'm not even running gaskets it's steel to steel no leaks

We used half inch steel an cut them out with torch. Then welded the pipes to the plate. Had to make the round pipes square!! That was fun ...

Mine isn't running yet!! We are building another engine at the moment and are currently working on the heads. An taking care of customers!! But mine will be a trial for several different turbos. We have a couple different hx- 40s, gt37, an then we'll see what happens. Probably end up somewhere around a 63/68 Borg Warner ..... with an air to air cooler!

If I end up doing this (wont decide till I get home at the beginning of August) my motor will be 20 or 21:1 compression depending on how thick of head gaskets I go with.

come on guys gotta live on the wild side lol both my last builds were under 18:1 and i have no complaints at all

We used half inch steel an cut them out with torch. Then welded the pipes to the plate. Had to make the round pipes square!! That was fun ...

And this... is why pics are something I really don't care to share.

I could post one of it after it is all wrapped. Hides some of the hideous redneckery that makes up the system :)
Yes, the whole system is wrapped. Manifolds, up-pipes, mount, turbo, and downpipe. Keeps heat away from critical things.
also... used the rear oil port, and used the stock 6.5 turbo oil feed line. Perfect length!

come on guys gotta live on the wild side lol both my last builds were under 18:1 and i have no complaints at all

Keep in mind, we need the compression to efficiently burn alternative fuels at times... less than 18:1 and they start getting dirty.
otherwise, we'd take it down to around 15, or 14, and throw a set of triple turbos on, and hit the dyno!

good lord that turbo intake side looks huge in that pic lol.

looks good man I like the setup. 2 1/4" ish diameter pipe by the looks of it I think. Curious if the hummer manifolds from the old 6.2 powered setups would work without crazy bends

Back