• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

CDR/blow by question! Help please need the truck soon!

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
I just changed the fuel filter on my truck and was letting it run to check for leaks when I noticed blow by coming from my dip stick. Last oil change I had none that was noticeable. Now it poors out. We are leaving for a horse show in hours, am I save? I have already blew up a 1996 6.5, I dont want to do that again. Think its my CDR? Any advice would be great, I cant not take my wife :(
Thank you DTR!

I would bet your CDR is stuck shut. Try taking it out of the rocker cover and idle the engine to see if the blow by is gone from dipstick.

Im going to try that right now Joe! thank you!
I am on autozones web site as I need one now, I searched for PCV like it says to in the sticky's, no luck.. what else might it be called?

I would guess that is the cdr also but I have a damaged piston and have lots of blowby coming out of my dip stick all the time and it hasn't hurt anything accept my pocket book buying oil. I don't think that a bad cdr valve can physically hurt the engine it will just use a bit more oil and have blow by.

Well I pulled it out, still ahve the blow by, coming from the oil fill hole and where the CDR should be... save to pull 5 tons? :eek:

You're supposed to have some blow-by - it ain't a new engine. You should be fine to pull the weight, just be as careful as you always are.

Did the dipstick blow-by disappear once you pulled the CDR?

They will be some "blowby" just from the pistons going up and down. They still move air on the bottom side. The biggest concern is the amount of air moving out of the hole. To double check the CDR put it back in,pull the hose from the inlet and see if the blow by is coming thru the tube... As for the CDR at AZ IDK...

GM part # - 25098706
NAPA Part # -
2-9445
Heath part #- HDP1630

Try some of our vendors... They may either have what you want, or can get it. They support us - we should support them!

You're supposed to have some blow-by - it ain't a new engine. You should be fine to pull the weight, just be as careful as you always are.

Did the dipstick blow-by disappear once you pulled the CDR?

No, almost same amount Jim..

Dipstick should be seated in the tube to seal the crankcase, allowing the CDR to function properly, as should be the oil filler cap in it's tube - 200kmi is getting mighty long in the tooth, so should have considerable blowby compared to 50kmi - if it's not missing badly and whuffing hard, likely it will be ok

I got a lot more vapor or fumes when I put lightweight synthetic in, if you did that last oil change it could just be that.

I went from regular 15W40 to syn 5W30. Putting syn 15W40 in this weekend

I am now running at 210F unloaded, this have anything to do with it? rad is clean as of 2 months ago, thermostat time i recken?

Probably......Or sending unit could be going bad if you have eclectonic one. Do you A/C? that would raise it, but shouldn't that much.

Higher ECT also means higher engine oil temps resulting in more crankcase vapors - could be t-stats - could be the fan clutch coil is insulated by 1/8" covering of road junk - or could be slipping: might need the manual adjustment to the temperature cut-in point - by radiator is clean, meaning all that debris between driver's-side radiator and ac condenser has been removed - got anything in front the radiator, such as a left-over Christmas wreath - or a plywood cutout of that big Bud draft horse?

Seems to be... Im going to go fiddle with it somemore... might be time for a new horse hauler

?? Don't write 'er off so quick, young fella... this here is pretty minor stuff, so far.

Payments on new trucks are not so little.

Higher ECT also means higher engine oil temps resulting in more crankcase vapors - could be t-stats - could be the fan clutch coil is insulated by 1/8" covering of road junk - or could be slipping: might need the manual adjustment to the temperature cut-in point - by radiator is clean, meaning all that debris between driver's-side radiator and ac condenser has been removed - got anything in front the radiator, such as a left-over Christmas wreath - or a plywood cutout of that big Bud draft horse?

Adjuestment of the clutch? Havnt heard of this.. Ill have to do some searching :thumbsup:

Rad is clean- was pulled from the truck and cleaned, Nothing in front of is other the trans and oil coolers :D

Back