• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cat 3406A

dracor85

Reaction score
Hey guys I am working on a project at work, I am removing a 1978 250hp Cat 3406A with 180hrs on it and putting in a brand new 2009 350hp 9L John Deere motor. I know every one likes pix so I figured Id post some photos as the project goes allong.

Justin

Cool. Thanks for the pics.

Why are they replacing the Cat with less than 200h though? Is it a hospital or something where the pump is a life safety issue?

The old pump is compleatly detached and is up on pipes to roll it out of the building. It is a chemical plant, the pump part is rated at 2500gpm but the engine over time has lost horsepower and will only push about 2200gpm and nothing is UL/FM listed so we are putting in a 3500gpm pump that is listed to keep the insurance company happy. I amagine that if they rebuilt the motor especially the injection pump it probally would be able to be brought back up to par but because of the age they decided to replace it with a new matching set. It should be much nicer to do the yearly testing and maintenece with the new pump it has a common rail injection system and has a water to water cooler so it should be much quieter. More pix to come!

Justin

Im not sure, we are going to try and sell the motor, pump, and controller as a package deal since it is most valuable in that form. But if we need to split them up then we will to be able to sell them. I have thought about what things I could do with the motor but for me it is just to big. I dont have anything that I could use it for or make something to use it with. I have thought about making it a generator but the generator head would make it unworthy because of cost. Now if it was the 9L inline 6 John Deere that we are replacing it with that would be a diffrent story, I would find a way to cram it into my truck. Lengthen the frame or move the cab back and strech the fenders something, lol.

Justin

Im not sure, we are going to try and sell the motor, pump, and controller as a package deal since it is most valuable in that form. But if we need to split them up then we will to be able to sell them. I have thought about what things I could do with the motor but for me it is just to big. I dont have anything that I could use it for or make something to use it with. I have thought about making it a generator but the generator head would make it unworthy because of cost. Now if it was the 9L inline 6 John Deere that we are replacing it with that would be a diffrent story, I would find a way to cram it into my truck. Lengthen the frame or move the cab back and strech the fenders something, lol.

Justin

You know... That Cat would fit in a long bed pickup bed... Make it a rear engine pickup and 4wd drive... No need for an offset pumpkin! Just run dual Heavy Axles like Rockwell 2.5 tons!):h

Sorry, I'm a sucker for putting motors where they don't belong:rolleyes5:

lol, yea BigBlue I have thought of that also but it has been done before DP mag did a article on a guy that put one in a ford. now if i didnt have my long bed truck because I need the space I would def think about it.

Justin

ok guys hopefully new pix coming today we are using a 10,000lb forklift (hopefully diesel) if it comes today to move the old motor out and put the new one in! keep you eyes open for pix of a big red motor, it will probally be the only red John Deere you will ever see! lol.

Justin

wood rails to roll the pump out of the building

its out, rolled out like it was supposed to roll!

12,000 Lbs highreach fork lift

Lifting like 8000lbs is nothing

Here is some new ones guys. sorry none of the new pump yet, the forklift came with only 48" forks instead of the 6 or 8ft it was supposed to. hopefully tommorow they will come with the right ones and stop the delay in this project. There are some more pix of the project in my garage.

Justin

If your gonna stick a Cat in a PU a 3208T would be the way to go. Not a real big engine phyiscally and capable of over 400+HP and stupid easy to work on. Only bad thing is it's a throw away block. No in-frame with a 3208. MArine guys get some stupid HP out of them. IP is easy to turn up.....:devil:

New pump

My view

Almost in

Its in!

other end in its new home

well hopefully I will be able to get some video of the startup when we have it ready next week. I might be able to get some video of the flow test also, 3500gpm is alot of water and I think for the first flow test we need to run it at 150% which is 5250gpm! I hope not though dont know where all the water is going to go, lol. We will probally flow 50,000 to 60,000 gallons of water total! Should be interesting.

Justin

Aces, I hear ya but Id rather get my hands on one of these John Deeres, it looks fairly small length wise its just tall. Im sure it could be stuffed under the hood if you moved the cab back a little bit and put a bit of a lift on the truck. These fire pump engines are very detuned because they are designed to run at full load for long periods of time with out fail. That being said a 9L motor rated at 350hp with a common rail injection system (it has a whole standalone computer system with a backup computer also) should be good for some serious HP!

Justin

ok guys short update here, the new motor went in with out a hitch but when we went to start it up well it started fine but there was a problem with the contorller and it would not shut down! Finally it came to blocking the intake off to shut it down. New part was emergancy overnighted from the manufacture who knew about the problem and didnt tell any one. So we got it running properly but now the problem is the pressure relief valve from the old pump is to small and every time you shut the pump down the whole room shakes as the relief valve slams shut with the loss of pressure (going from 170psi to 14psi instantly). so now we are waiting on a new relief valve which takes 3-4 weeks to get. once that is installed then we will atempt to do the flow test and I will get a video of it running then. Its loud and has quite a turbo whistle, pretty sweet souding for the application.

Justin

also on a side note I talked to my pump test guy and we are going to be flowing about 130,000 gal of water in 1/2hr time! I dont know where its all gonna go but I better bring my swim trunks that day, lol.

Back