• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Carter P4600HP lift pump replacement (also WALBRO FRB-5)

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
I am tired of burning up the factory lift pump. Something about being a meth addict: used in the Biodiesel production here. Methanol voids the warranty on several pumps.

I own a 6.5, so a $500.00 fuel pump is :rolleyes5: out of my budget.

Ideally I should of used a:
WALBRO FRB-5 FUEL PUMP
Warrantied for the following fuels: gas, diesel, bio-diesel, Stoddard solvent and E85

In stock locally at a big rig truck parts store:

Carter GP4600HP
Standard Pressure with 3/8'' NPT Inlet and Outlet
6-8 psi output
100 gph Free Flow

Some Dodge folks use a higher pressure version: P4601HP

Pic of the "Run a bypass."
PICT9231.jpg

Pic of the pump mounted with 1 bolt through a existing frame bolt hole.

PICT9227.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know if these pumps are flow on fail? Do you know what the pressures/specs are for the 4601 pump? I want a more pressure reliable pump than the stock pump and like you I can't afford ones like the raptor.

Don

Thanks. I did finally find info in a search. The only thing I haven't been able to find yet is if it's flow on fail. The specs I found said the same as what WW listed. 100GPH free flow. I'm not sure that free flow is the same as flow on fail. I'm wondering if the 100GPH free flow is how much volume it will pump with out the restriction of pressure build up.

Don

Looks like it was covered on here. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?19438-Carter-Fuel-pump

Pump locks up = no fuel. There is no flow path in the pump when it locks up. Maybe the pump motor cooling flow path could provide some fuel bypass.

Pump pops a fuse (or brush) the IP can spin the dead pump motor over and force fuel through it.

I bet 94blazer would suggest a stainless steel ball check valve with a couple of tee fittings for a flow on fail. Or a Carter G1691002 check valve.

Thanks WW for that link. Good info there that really helped my questions. I'm not very impressed with the kind of pressure numbers I'm getting, especially the fluctuation in pressure with the stock pump. That's why I'm searching for something with better, more consistant pressure, without breaking the bank.

Don

I will be impressed if mine makes it out of the warranty period, 1 year, alive... Since November 09 I have gone through 5. The two weak (week) life of the last one made me give up.

I tried a similar pump years ago on a 6.2 I had drainback issues with it.

Now I understand what you mean. :34:

Looks like this setup requires a check valve to prevent having to re-prime the IP after sitting overnight. Air leaks who knows where else will cause extreme 'blow the high performance starter up' hard starting due to air in the IP. (Aka drainback.)

That said we have 2.5 months and 6K on the Carter pump with lots of Biodiesel B99, #2, and random mixes of both for it to choke down. You can hear it run for whatever comfort that is.

Bummer. Those check valves aren't cheap either...

Does it do this everyday? I've left my fuel system with lines open and leaking numerous times, Don't recall any lack of IP priming starting issues.

The OBDII models have a priming function during WTS. If this is an older model, then it may not be functioning or not equipped with LP priming during Glow cycle.

93s were supposed to have it, 94-95 did not. It can be added though with a relay or two, an improved OPS relay modification.

What is that lack of noise?
Hmmm... It must be the 6 Month "Scheduled maintenance - severe duty" of replace the fail(ed/ing) lift pump!

Appears my Carter pump is not running at full speed when I first prime/start the engine. Ground test then here we go again...

I ended up swapping the LP for a Carter "Bellows" type. Pity they are no longer made. The walbro FR series was the replacement.

Was reading this just now, i have a Carter unit off a 24V Cummins. Wonder if have drainback issues....

Story: Lately my starts have been more smoky (grayish kinda color), and when its around 10 degrees and my trucks not plugged in for at least 12 hours it doesnt like to start. (Will crank, kinda try to fire but something just isnt enough. Have to plug it in. Of course everything was replaced with new or close to it stuff when i rebuilt the engine. Prolly found my issue here...
How does Dodge overcome this?

Is that a gear clamp rubbing the fuel line?

PICT9231.jpg

Might want to repostion that (ie: turn it) if it is or it may chaff through the line...

Thx great white, The clamp has the end curled under to turn under the sharp edge. The clamp has been on and off for the air checks.

Going to tear this lift pump down and perhaps see why I am eating so many pumps. This one has more #2 and very little B99 in it's diet.

:hijacked:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back