• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can't win part 2, engine won't rev!

turbovanman

I has boost, :O)
Reaction score
Finally got the cover sorted out, will shut off now but if I rev it, it won't, I'd guess it rev's a max of 1500 rpm? WTF is going on, :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:
What do I need to look at? It was supposedly a working pump, its very clean, inside was full of clean diesel fuel so what do I need to look at, this is getting very tiresome, :sad:

Where'd you get the pump from? The older DB2's had a plastic governor weight retainer ring that would fall apart.

I wonder...could that be it? :confused:

Try revving it at the pump. Turn the throttle lever on the pump. Does it still only go to 1,500 then? Make sure it's a pump issue, not a linkage issue from the pedal to the pump.

Got it from a guy on the diesel place, its a military 6.5 pump, he said it came off a running truck.

Throttle linkage works fine, :thumbsup:

Sorry but not alot I can help you with on them. I never screwed with the insides. If I had an IP problem I pulled it and sent it out. The plastic gear dave is referring to failed in a few of mine but the sypmtoms were usually lots of grey nasty smoke. As I said in another post I would not have installed a used IP without a bench test. Lot of work for nothing if it's junk.

I guess it boiled down to me not installing the cover the first time and I bent the solenoid arm without knowing it. After asking here, I removed the cover and reinstalled it as I didn't want a runaway engine. I then bent the arm so it would shut off but I went too far as I guess it locked the rack mechanism. After sleeping on it last night in anger, I came back to work and got the old pump and 24 volt cover and put the arm at the activated spot and made a mark on the pump housing, then got my 12 volt and compared, 1/8" out, so I rebent it, reinstalled and it shuts off and rev's up.

Just finished reinstalling everything and putting on a 6.5 round fuel filter housing right now, just have to cut and splice some wires, mucho neater now, :thumbsup:

I'll post pics up later.

Back