• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can this Happen?????

toytruckman

Reaction score
It seams? like my trans is slipping when it's cold; (New orleans, but it's damm cold here right now) but I have no code and if I either get truck (trans around ~125*f on trans gauge) warm or I get on it a little it works fine?

Thanks Dave

Check your fluids first and make sure your levels are good,also when is the last time you changed the tranny fluid and filter. Also these trucks react differently when they are subjected to cold, my truck wont go into overdrive until the tranny warms up, but it is normal. Right now its 20 degrees were I am.

It seams? like my trans is slipping when it's cold; (New orleans, but it's damm cold here right now) but I have no code and if I either get truck (trans around ~125*f on trans gauge) warm or I get on it a little it works fine?

Thanks Dave

Can you describe what you mean by slipping with a little more detail? The Allison's run rough until warmed up. If the situation you describe goes away once it is warm, I would say it is normal due to the cold weather.

Can you describe what you mean by slipping with a little more detail? The Allison's run rough until warmed up. If the situation you describe goes away once it is warm, I would say it is normal due to the cold weather.

Well, it just acts like it...... it just dont wanta shift? when it does it's real real slow to catch the next gear, theres a huge lag it just hangs, its still pulling but dammm.
it's 19 here and this is by far the coldest it has been since I have owned the truck.
I pluged in my EFI and no code's and all is programed as should be?

Well, it just acts like it...... it just dont wanta shift? when it does it's real real slow to catch the next gear, theres a huge lag it just hangs, its still pulling but dammm.
it's 19 here and this is by far the coldest it has been since I have owned the truck.

It's been in the single digits here the past few days, I think what your feeling is normal. They do shift funny cold. After decently warm it smooths out a lot.

Definitely the same as mine and many others. Just plain coollllllllld shifting. The motor screams and the revs are high before it wants to shift into the next gear. Totally normal.

It's been 18*F here the last two mornings. I always wait at least 30 sec. before putting it in gear when it is cold. The ranny fluid is thicker and doesnt flow as easily as when it is warm. The tranny doesn't shift well when cold and tends to hang in a gear. Like you are well past the normal shift rpm and you let off the thottle and it still doesn't shift and then it finally does the first couple of times. That is normal. Also there is a temp sendor that prevents it from going into OD and locking up the TC until the temp gets up a bit. This is normal.

So take it easy until it smooths out as the transmission clearances are larger than when warm/hot and it is easier to damage your transmission

Thanks all fluids normal and I change the filter every 5k when i change the engine oil. I;ve been letting it run for 15min beforw driving off. it warmed up to almsot 60 today and guess what ran as i'm ues to so again thanks to all and you all were right:thumbsup:

where we are the temp has been between -30 to -40c and yes they do act funny in cold weather,i find it much better if you put your truck in neutral when your leaving it warm up ,it does make a big difference try it youll see it shifts way better

where we are the temp has been between -30 to -40c and yes they do act funny in cold weather,i find it much better if you put your truck in neutral when your leaving it warm up ,it does make a big difference try it youll see it shifts way better

Ok you got me; Why would Neutral, rather than Park make any difference. The only difference inside is the parking dog, Yes? I mean the fluid flow in park and neutral is the same....????

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe neutral is cycling fluids around where as park isn't. When we where trying to fix a leak on the tranny cooler on a 88 Ram 250, we would put it in neutral to get the fluid flowing so as to see if the leak was still there. Don't know if the Allison acts the same way, but neutral seems ton flow fluid.

The trans fluid flows in park, just the same as it does in neutral. As long as the truck is running, the fluid is pumping.

During high idle, the ECM puts a load on the tranny to warm it up faster. This is why when you get in it on a cold day after a few minutes of high idle, the trans temp gauge is creeping up.

Ok well I have never used high idle, it just feels wrong I know GM put it on there but still :eek:

I thought however that as long as the trans pump was running fluid was going to all places but not driving clutch packs:confused:

However I am willing to try neutral if that gets her warmer faster:D

Use your high idle brother. Its there for a reason. Its worth its weight in gold in cold climates.

Back