• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can I get somebody at a truck stop to tow my too-heavy utility trailer?

normnovato

Reaction score
Can I get somebody at a truck stop to tow my too-heavy utility trailer up a nearby grade - just by asking and paying some cash?

I need to go up the Tehachapi Grade but I worry that my Dodge B350 van can't handle a 7000-pound load up such a steep slope.

It has a 2+5/16th" ball.

Truck-rental places will not rent a truck with a 2+5/16" ball - and they won't rent me THEIR truck to tow MY trailer.

If you go on craigslist there is people all the time advertising to haul trailers usually RV's for a fee. Try it out and wish you luck. :thumbsup:

Can I get somebody at a truck stop to tow my too-heavy utility trailer up a nearby grade - just by asking and paying some cash?

I need to go up the Tehachapi Grade but I worry that my Dodge B350 van can't handle a 7000-pound load up such a steep slope.

It has a 2+5/16th" ball.

Truck-rental places will not rent a truck with a 2+5/16" ball - and they won't rent me THEIR truck to tow MY trailer.

You're probably on the way by now, but I would think your one-ton van should do it. Just don't expect to break any records. Roll down the windows, no A/C on to help keep things cooler underhood and take added strain off the engine (5.2 or 5.9), use LOW 1 and switch on the hazards. Keep the revs up some, not a bunch, around 3000 if you have a tach. Use LOW 2 or DRIVE (3rd) and 'snub-braking' on the down-hill. Avoid overdrive (4th) for anything, there is no engine braking in OD on most automatics. IF you have an auto-trans, that is...

I suggest you call Success transport: 800-991-2189
http://www.successtransportationservices.com/

I may be the only 1993 6.5 pickup hauling for them but I am not in that area. I recommend them as they let anyone haul for them without BS "2005 and newer" pickup requirements. Insurance to cover your trailer and CDL logs are required of the drivers. Pays me around ~1.10 a mile (Depends on fuel prices Nov 2010 quoted) but you pay more to cover their overhead.

Another site is U-ship.

Back