• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Camp food.

Wow, I need to get my mind out of the gutter.:hand: Burnt tire:eek:

Pffft....I couldn't get my head outta the gutter if i wanted to!

Its like a powerful magnet to steel! :ihih::sifone:

Now back to steak... for a minute! I like medium. Just a little pink in the center! And crusted with steak seasoning, lemon pepper, garlic salt, :drool5:

LMAO!! :D

you guys want a killer steak, here's a little tip: if you ever come to vegas, visit Sunset Station (off of I-95 and Sunset). if the steaks werent $50 each, i'd have ordered another word of caution, everything is priced individually there. $50 steak dont sound like much but add a potato, veggie's, salad and drinks and it turns out to be ~$170 for two people.

gezz for that type of money here we can feed a fmaily of 8 guess I am glad where I live and should stop complaining. Holy Crap!!

feed the whole restuarant here....long as you eat at mickey d's. :D

it was worth it. like i said, best damn steak i have EVER had.

thas like askin if the pope is catholic.............. im hungry ALL THE FK'N TIME!!! :D:lol:

thas like askin if the pope is catholic.............. im hungry ALL THE FK'N TIME!!! :D:lol:
Me too... Beef it's whats for dinner... Although I see some chicken brests thawing on the counter...I guess chicken is whats for dinner at my house tonight... mmmm hungry now...

Frogmore Stew (our version)

Frogmore Stew is supposed to have been developed in the Frogmore Islands off the coast of SC .... the following is our way of making it but is in no way the only way .... this is the type of stew that can/should be adapted to the taste of the folks making it .... we usually cook ours for a crowd (in this case 20 people) but it most certainly can be adapted to the number of folks that will be there ... amounts listed of items should not be taken as absolutes, use as much/little as you like ... we usually cook ours in a turkey fryer

ingredients:

8 lbs Kielbasa
2 lbs Johnsonville Brats
6 lbs cleaned/deveined large shrimp
36 midget (fresh if possible but we used frozen) ears of corn
3 large lemons
2 gallons canned whole potatoes
2 lbs carrots
2 bunches of celery
5 large, assorted color bell peppers
1 lb pack radishes
2 6 oz boxes whole, fresh mushrooms
4 large Videlia onions
4 bags crab/shrimp boil
2 bottles beer
2 gallons filtered water
2 small or 1 large bag of Crab Boil

assorted notes:

put water/beer/bags of crab boil/ whole onions/squeeze lemons then throw them in and let sit for a while (2-3 hours) to help blend the flavors, when you are ready to start cooking, bring to a slow boil (a hard boil can burst the spice bags) (recommend you leave onions whole for cooking and cut up just prior to serving) (see picture 1) ..... precook the Kielbasa and Johnsonville Brats on a grill to help cut down on grease and keep warm until you add them (see picture 2) ... to keep the corn from absorbing some flavors preboil corn in salt water and keep warm till you add them .... when ready to cook, bring to a slow boil for 15 minutes (time is what I use, adjust as you see fit) the add carrots/celery/radishes (see picture 3) ... bring back to a slow boil for 15 minutes then add canned whole potatoes, we've found canned potatoes don't come apart while cooking like fresh ones, some folks have said they have had good luck with new/red potatoes (see picture 4), also add the bell peppers (recommend peppers be left in halves to be cut for serving after cooking is complete ... bring back to a slow boil for 15 minutes then add Kielbasa/Brats that have been cut into 2" or so sections and the corn .... bring back to a slow boil for 15 minutes then add shrimp and mushrooms ..... stir to keep an eye on the shrimp, when they are done, the stew is ready .... strain, pour into pans to serve (see pictures 5) .... the reaction from our guest (only one of whom had eaten Frogmore Stew prior to this) was very positive

Jim

Attachments

• Estelline Frogmore 3.jpg
    Estelline Frogmore 3.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Estelline Frogmore.jpg
    Estelline Frogmore.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Estelline Frogmore 4.jpg
    Estelline Frogmore 4.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2
  • Estelline Frogmore 5.jpg
    Estelline Frogmore 5.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Estelline Frogmore 6.jpg
    Estelline Frogmore 6.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 3
Here's a hint from a seafood boiling fool(that be me) buy a big box(biggest available) of womens knee high stockings...put your boil bags inside of one... or however many you need to use...you will never have to pick those spices from the boil bag out of your food ever again... hope this helps...

Pepp
Frogmore Stew is supposed to have been developed in the Frogmore Islands off the coast of SC .... the following is our way of making it but is in no way the only way .... this is the type of stew that can/should be adapted to the taste of the folks making it .... we usually cook ours for a crowd (in this case 20 people) but it most certainly can be adapted to the number of folks that will be there ... amounts listed of items should not be taken as absolutes, use as much/little as you like ... we usually cook ours in a turkey fryer

ingredients:

8 lbs Kielbasa
2 lbs Johnsonville Brats
6 lbs cleaned/deveined large shrimp
36 midget (fresh if possible but we used frozen) ears of corn
3 large lemons
2 gallons canned whole potatoes
2 lbs carrots
2 bunches of celery
5 large, assorted color bell peppers
1 lb pack radishes
2 6 oz boxes whole, fresh mushrooms
4 large Videlia onions
4 bags crab/shrimp boil
2 bottles beer
2 gallons filtered water
2 small or 1 large bag of Crab Boil

assorted notes:

put water/beer/bags of crab boil/ whole onions/squeeze lemons then throw them in and let sit for a while (2-3 hours) to help blend the flavors, when you are ready to start cooking, bring to a slow boil (a hard boil can burst the spice bags) (recommend you leave onions whole for cooking and cut up just prior to serving) (see picture 1) ..... precook the Kielbasa and Johnsonville Brats on a grill to help cut down on grease and keep warm until you add them (see picture 2) ... to keep the corn from absorbing some flavors preboil corn in salt water and keep warm till you add them .... when ready to cook, bring to a slow boil for 15 minutes (time is what I use, adjust as you see fit) the add carrots/celery/radishes (see picture 3) ... bring back to a slow boil for 15 minutes then add canned whole potatoes, we've found canned potatoes don't come apart while cooking like fresh ones, some folks have said they have had good luck with new/red potatoes (see picture 4), also add the bell peppers (recommend peppers be left in halves to be cut for serving after cooking is complete ... bring back to a slow boil for 15 minutes then add Kielbasa/Brats that have been cut into 2" or so sections and the corn .... bring back to a slow boil for 15 minutes then add shrimp and mushrooms ..... stir to keep an eye on the shrimp, when they are done, the stew is ready .... strain, pour into pans to serve (see pictures 5) .... the reaction from our guest (only one of whom had eaten Frogmore Stew prior to this) was very positive

Jim

Here's a hint from a seafood boiling fool(that be me) buy a big box(biggest available) of womens knee high stockings...put your boil bags inside of one... or however many you need to use...you will never have to pick those spices from the boil bag out of your food ever again... hope this helps...

Pepp

never thought of using knee high stockings .... we have had spice bags to burst and you are right that is the reason I posted about the slow boil ... tip appreciated

Jim

one of my families fav's is my bbq'd red onions. I peel the dry skin and lop off one end, then take your knife and cut straight down into the onion, but not all the way through. I usually do about six cuts like a pie. Then you squash it down and this opens it up. load it full of butter and brown sugar, wrap it in foil and put on the grill with the steaks. Actually the onions take longer than the steaks, about 30 minutes or so. My steaks take about 6 minutes to cook. three minutes per side, the best steak I ever had was cold in the middle. "brush its teeth, wipes it's a$$, knock it's horns off and serve it!"

one of my families fav's is my bbq'd red onions. I peel the dry skin and lop off one end, then take your knife and cut straight down into the onion, but not all the way through. I usually do about six cuts like a pie. Then you squash it down and this opens it up. load it full of butter and brown sugar, wrap it in foil and put on the grill with the steaks. Actually the onions take longer than the steaks, about 30 minutes or so. My steaks take about 6 minutes to cook. three minutes per side, the best steak I ever had was cold in the middle. "brush its teeth, wipes it's a$$, knock it's horns off and serve it!"

That sounds awesome and i agree on the steak, I want blood red meat and a moo as I cut in to it.

tineypw - ever try anything other than red onions?

I think your onion thing sounds awesome. Just hope I can remember it when grilling season comes around again....we had snow today...:-(

Everything sounds great.

We do biscuits on a stick. I can eat them even after the drunk chickens, pastalia, etc.....

Get several 3/8" - 1/2" wooden dowl rods from your local hardware store.

Buy the cheapest store brand biscuits you can find.

Roll 2 of the biscuits together into about a 1/2" diameter roll and start at the very top end of the stick, wrap the biscuits down the stick. Make sure to seal the top and down the side. Once rolled down the stick you can roll it in your hands to seal it up all the way.

Cook over a open campfire while slowly rolling it until golden brown. It's cooked when it slides easily off of the stick.

Now the best part......get liquid butter or honey and fill the inside and enjoy.

These are great. Kids as well as adults love these and it catches on really quick around the campground.

Goes great with alcohol too!

poppers
Take jalapeno peppers
slice in 1/2 remove seeds
stuff with feta cheese
wrap in semi cooked bacon with tooth pick
place on grill till bacon is done.
lots of work but very yummy
just a bout anything wrapped in bacon will be good:eek:16:

Back