• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Camp food.

Here is some from over the 4th of July. 21 pound fresh leg of pork (uncured ham), dry rub a day ahead of time, on the smoker for 12 hours. Side dish of smoked turkey.

You know that looks really good Farmdog :drool5::drool5::drool5:.

Made steaks and bakes over the last weekend when we were camping. I still gotta find a better way of cooking baked potatos, as I always wind up with really crunchy skins if I grill them. Heat control is an issue. Might try a dutch oven next time..

But the steaks came out great. It looked like a pack of wild dogs decended on my steaks. Everyone raved about them, and I'll give you the secret. I buy the cheapest top sirloin from costco (like 2.90 a lb). they usually come too thick to grill efficiently, so I slice them in two thin ones, then give 'em a light beating with my tenderizer, and into a ziplock back with Chef's Request marinade (Best marinade EVER!).

Slosh everything around in the bag for a good coating and then fold the bag over with the zipper at the top and squeeze out all the air. Really lean on the bag and squish it. Keep the zipper cracked open and as high as possible. Once you have all the air out, close the zipper and let the bag sit at room temp for a couple of hours or so. Put a 5 lb bag of flour or other suitable weight on the bag to keep some pressure on it. Then put it in the freezer and freeze it solid.

Allow the bag to come to room temp before opening and grilling

What happens is that the steaks suck up the marinade, and when you freeze it, the marinade 'ice' expands and breaks down some of the tissue, resulting in a super tender steak. You can make an old shoe taste good this way.

And dont look for Chefs request in the store. You gotta either order it online, or see a booth selling it at like the boat/rv/home and garden show. Their website is http://www.chefsrequest.com/

Once you try it, you will never use any other marinade.

Tim

Made steaks and bakes over the last weekend when we were camping. I still gotta find a better way of cooking baked potatos, as I always wind up with really crunchy skins if I grill them. Heat control is an issue. Might try a dutch oven next time..

But the steaks came out great. It looked like a pack of wild dogs decended on my steaks. Everyone raved about them, and I'll give you the secret. I buy the cheapest top sirloin from costco (like 2.90 a lb). they usually come too thick to grill efficiently, so I slice them in two thin ones, then give 'em a light beating with my tenderizer, and into a ziplock back with Chef's Request marinade (Best marinade EVER!).

Slosh everything around in the bag for a good coating and then fold the bag over with the zipper at the top and squeeze out all the air. Really lean on the bag and squish it. Keep the zipper cracked open and as high as possible. Once you have all the air out, close the zipper and let the bag sit at room temp for a couple of hours or so. Put a 5 lb bag of flour or other suitable weight on the bag to keep some pressure on it. Then put it in the freezer and freeze it solid.

Allow the bag to come to room temp before opening and grilling

What happens is that the steaks suck up the marinade, and when you freeze it, the marinade 'ice' expands and breaks down some of the tissue, resulting in a super tender steak. You can make an old shoe taste good this way.

And dont look for Chefs request in the store. You gotta either order it online, or see a booth selling it at like the boat/rv/home and garden show. Their website is http://www.chefsrequest.com/

Once you try it, you will never use any other marinade.

Tim
The only way I ever cook potatoes when I camp is, wrap them up good with foil, get a good bunch of coals going, and put them in. When done add all the fixin's you desire and there you have it.

Potato Tubes

Not really an open fire thing, but here is what I do on a grill (could be over a fire).

Ingredients/supplies:

Medium sized red potatoes
Sliced Onion (I like sweet onions like vidallia)
Butter
Salt
Foil

Method:

Arrange a double layer of tin foil slightly longer than your grilling surface on your workspace.
Place first sliced potato about 2" from the end of foil.
Separate each potato slice and insert a few bits of the sliced onion.
Continue until you are about 2" from other end of foil (for me about 5 spuds)
Put 3 or 4 pads of butter evenly spaced on the potato/onion.
Salt to taste
Pull sides of foil up together and roll back down onto spuds.
Push the fallen-over slices at the end of the roll up with a finger and roll each end up tight.
Grill 40 minutes on a medium heat, turning 1/4 turn every 10 minutes.

Make extra tubes and re-heat them to eat with your eggs in the morning...:)

When you get this right and the potato just starts browning and the onions caramelize, it is heavenly (that's the Irish in me talking...)

Last edited:
catch about 20 brookies and clean them, then roast them over flame, no spices required, absolutely delicious.

I made up the old fashion, classic weekend food recently, handmade hamburgers. Started with about 4lbs of 80% lean ground beef, 1/2 cup of chopped yellow onion, 1/2 cup of choped green onion, 1/2 cup of green pepper, granulated garlic, Montreal Steak Seasoning, 2 eggs, and salt/pepper. Mixed it all by hand, then hand packed them, and man, did they turn out awesome. Made about 12-13 of them, and even had a couple for breakfast then next day.

Not really an open fire thing, but here is what I do on a grill (could be over a fire).

Ingredients/supplies:

Medium sized red potatoes
Sliced Onion (I like sweet onions like vidallia)
Butter
Salt
Foil

Method:

Arrange a double layer of tin foil slightly longer than your grilling surface on your workspace.
Place first sliced potato about 2" from the end of foil.
Separate each potato slice and insert a few bits of the sliced onion.
Continue until you are about 2" from other end of foil (for me about 5 spuds)
Put 3 or 4 pads of butter evenly spaced on the potato/onion.
Salt to taste
Pull sides of foil up together and roll back down onto spuds.
Push the fallen-over slices at the end of the roll up with a finger and roll each end up tight.
Grill 40 minutes on a medium heat, turning 1/4 turn every 10 minutes.

Make extra tubes and re-heat them to eat with your eggs in the morning...:)

When you get this right and the potato just starts browning and the onions caramelize, it is heavenly (that's the Irish in me talking...)

Sounds good. I'll have to try it. But with one difference. Anytime I make fried potatoes, I include some crumbled bacon, and a splash of malt vinegar. I think that would really work well with this recipie.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

tim

this is how we roll......:D

smoker... that big bad boy on the top right was all mine. med rare and bleedin like a mf'er... just the way i like it :D

kabobs.... mostly meat, the only way to go...

and lastly, peach cobbler in a dutch oven. that stuff was GOOD!!

Attachments

• smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 15
  • kabobs.jpg
    kabobs.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 12
  • peach cobbler.jpg
    peach cobbler.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 7
Not really camp food but, I'm looking for ideas for converting a 59 ga. wine barrel into a smoker. I've seen a few online but no details. Anyone ever seen or used one. I have a connection on barrels and wine soaked stave's for smoking. My son works for a company called Re-Coop they refurbish barrels.

Disease infested ice cube??? huh? Dude why is it your name is WanaDmax yet you have down Ford and a Dodge as your future vehicle? What happened to that big Dodge you were going to buy. I agree with WT, A little pink on the inside is always good.

Disease infested ice cube??? huh? Dude why is it your name is WanaDmax yet you have down Ford and a Dodge as your future vehicle? What happened to that big Dodge you were going to buy. I agree with WT, A little pink on the inside is always good.

Cause im poor. I have no money.

Well, I think a well done steak is good. You guys think a pink steak is better. Im just saying what i like.

LMAO!! :D

im with 66.... gotta be pink in the middle. none of this burnt to a crisp through and through. taste like toasted cardboard when you done, all the flavor cooked out of it. :puke:

you guys want a killer steak, here's a little tip: if you ever come to vegas, visit Sunset Station (off of I-95 and Sunset). theres a little steakhouse inside called "Sonoma Cellar".... best steak i have ever had in my 24 years on planet earth.... if the steaks werent $50 each, i'd have ordered another :D .... word of caution, everything is priced individually there. $50 steak dont sound like much but add a potato, veggie's, salad and drinks and it turns out to be ~$170 for two people.

You guys are talking about the same thing?... right... steak...right? Because the whole burnt to a crisp, taste like toasted cardboard, really threw me...

You guys are talking about the same thing?... right... steak...right? Because the whole burnt to a crisp, taste like toasted cardboard, really threw me...
We are talking about steak???In that case,I like it pink in the middle,otherwise you're gay!:yesnod:
Once it gets past medium,it's Tubesteak!):h

yup, steak. what threw you?? lemme know and i'll clarify it for you'se.... :D:lol:

maybe i should have said it tastes like a burnt tire... that better. :D

Back