• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Camp food.

When my first wife was alive, we camped with a couple older couples than us and we did cream can dinners together.

Took an 8 gallon or so cream can
Starting on the bottom we placed a layer of larger river rock to keep everything up off the bottom and let the steam circulate
first layer was of whole potatoes
next layer was of your choice of german sausage, brats or italian sausage
next layer was onions,
next layer was corn on the cob
next layer another layer of meat of your choice
next layer could be califlower, or brocolli
You would put in about 3 gallons of water
On the campfire you would get a really nice hot bed of coals going and with me being a welder I made a small grid to keep the cream can just off the coals so we could get some of them under it and keep it hot and let everything cook for as long as you needed to make sure it wsa done, Usually a couple hours

Made the mistake of setting the can right in the coals one of the first times out and it melted the darn soldier right out of the can and ruined it.
But we have done these for fmaily reunions, my grandparents 50th wedding anniversery and if packed right, you could feed about 40 from the large cream cans and never heard a bad word from anyone

Dont feel like cleaning up?

This is GREAT for the last day, when you have to get everyone fed, and moving in the morning.

What you need: Eggs (usually 2 or 3 per person. more if your a redneck)
Zip-Lock Bags or cheaper equivalent (2 per person)
Milk and what ever add-ins you want (eg. Bacon bits, Bell Peppers, What you usually like in an omlette)

Bring a pot of water to a boil.

While waiting for it to boil, crack the disired number of eggs per person in to individual bags.

Add a small amount of milk, about 1/4 cup or less. You can use water instead, but milk tastes way better. Add desired toppings (bacon, cheese, etc.). Seal the bag.

Squish the egg and stuff together until well mixed and the yolks are mixed in.

Then place the bag in another bag, with the zippers facing opposite directions (place bag w/ egg in zipper side towards ground, and outer bag, zipper pointing towards sky).

Place bags in boiling water until cooked thoroughly.

Remove bags, but be careful. THE BAGS WILL BE HOT!!

Remove outer bag, then un-zip the inside, and eat out of the bag. Just throw the bag away, and dump the water out. NO MESS!!

:hurray:

The first time I had this we were in Idaho, best breakfast ever....

We usually cook up a big pot of pulled pork before we leave, then just heat them up at dinner, slap it on some bread.. good eatin'... and great leftovers for lunch....

Peach and Blueberry Cobbler

Start with a 10" dutch oven. If you don't know what one of these are, you can find them at Bass Pro or Cabela's or any outdoor store. They are a cast iron pot with 3 or 4 short legs on the bottom and a cast iron lid. You can cook just about anything you can think of in one. I done everything from desserts to stews and chicken.

For this Cobbler, add 1 big can of sliced peaches and one can of blueberry pie filling.
In seprate bowl mix 1 box yellow cake mix with the water called for on the box, and spread over the fruit already in the dutch oven.
Next cut a stick of butter in pats and place evenly over cake mix.
Place the lid on and place 12 hot briquettes underneath the dutch oven and 12 on top of lid. wait about 45 minutes or when it smells done, it is. Serve in a bowl with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. This is by far our entire camping groups favorite part of our weekends. Also feel free to use pretty much any kind of fruit or different type of cake mix. One of our other favorites is cherry pie filling and chocolate cake mix.:thumbsup:
We did this last night, big hit. I'm going to try the cherry/chocolate tonight if it isn't storming.

Most if not all of us from the midwest have done beer brats before, but what do you think about doing it with a steak or chicken? We do some pretty mean hot wings and I was think if letting them soak in a few beers before they went into the deep fryer.

Liquids + Hot Oil = Ouch.....

I'd be really careful if you try that one. Not saying it can't/shouldn't be done, after all, I inject about 12oz of beer-based marinade into my fried turkeys....

Save all your leftovers from the grille (steak, potatoes, chicken, pork, etc.) and dice it all up and throw it in a large skillet with some eggs and diced pepper, onions, and a little seasoning and cook together and serve with flour tortillas to make breakfast burritos.

Save all your leftovers from the grille (steak, potatoes, chicken, pork, etc.) and dice it all up and throw it in a large skillet with some eggs and diced pepper, onions, and a little seasoning and cook together and serve with flour tortillas to make breakfast burritos.

Oh yeah, that's something I might try this weekend at home.:yesnod: Having steak on Friday night.

Liquids + Hot Oil = Ouch.....

I'd be really careful if you try that one. Not saying it can't/shouldn't be done, after all, I inject about 12oz of beer-based marinade into my fried turkeys....

Yeah, that crossed my mind, but I was thinking saying so them in the beer on a friday night, pull them out Saturday morning. Dab off the extra moisture, and put them in a tupperware container til you did them that afternoon or night. With sitting in the beer over night (in the fridge of course) the meat would soak up the flavor and might work out.

Dont feel like cleaning up?

This is GREAT for the last day, when you have to get everyone fed, and moving in the morning.

What you need: Eggs (usually 2 or 3 per person. more if your a redneck)
Zip-Lock Bags or cheaper equivalent (2 per person)
Milk and what ever add-ins you want (eg. Bacon bits, Bell Peppers, What you usually like in an omlette)

Bring a pot of water to a boil.

While waiting for it to boil, crack the disired number of eggs per person in to individual bags.

Add a small amount of milk, about 1/4 cup or less. You can use water instead, but milk tastes way better. Add desired toppings (bacon, cheese, etc.). Seal the bag.

Squish the egg and stuff together until well mixed and the yolks are mixed in.

Then place the bag in another bag, with the zippers facing opposite directions (place bag w/ egg in zipper side towards ground, and outer bag, zipper pointing towards sky).

Place bags in boiling water until cooked thoroughly.

Remove bags, but be careful. THE BAGS WILL BE HOT!!

Remove outer bag, then un-zip the inside, and eat out of the bag. Just throw the bag away, and dump the water out. NO MESS!!

:hurray:

I like that one a lot. Really any breakfast mess meal I'm up for. I love throwing anything you can find in about a dozen or two of eggs and serve with toast. At home or camping, whether I'm making just srambled eggs or a big breakfast, I love using Louisiana Hot Sauce or Tony's Creole Seasoning in the eggs. Never had it much less heard of it before meeting my wife and her family. I was introduced to it while camping with them and I've used it in most everything since. From eggs to Pork Chops, it goes with anything.

I also have the campfire pie makers that you can take 2 slices of what ever kind of bread you wish but my favorite it a whole grain and then you butter one side of it, place it on the pie iron, put either cherry, apple, peach pie filling in the middle, pull the irons together and place on the coals of the fire for a few minutes andthen turn it over. As you get experienced you will be able to see how long it takes but you take that iron out of the fire, put that nice hot pie on a place and be real careful to not take a bit and burn the heck out of yourself.
I found some aluminum irons at camping world but I like the cast iron ones a whole lot better

I also have the campfire pie makers that you can take 2 slices of what ever kind of bread you wish but my favorite it a whole grain and then you butter one side of it, place it on the pie iron, put either cherry, apple, peach pie filling in the middle, pull the irons together and place on the coals of the fire for a few minutes andthen turn it over. As you get experienced you will be able to see how long it takes but you take that iron out of the fire, put that nice hot pie on a place and be real careful to not take a bit and burn the heck out of yourself.
I found some aluminum irons at camping world but I like the cast iron ones a whole lot better

I got one of those and they work great. Also good for grilled cheese for lunch.

We do pizza in them, bread buttered on one side add some cheese, pepperoni, peppers and mushrooms. Put them in the fire for a bit and the kids love them.

Wrap a big stick with foil, wrap the foil with a crescent roll, loosely wrap with more foil, cook over fire, and then fill with raspberry jamb and white chocolate. mmm good...

We did pineapple slices dipped in milk and cinnamon and then grilled over medium heat for a few min. on each side, turned out great.

Beer can chicken. Apply rub on seasoning to the outside and the inside of the chicken, take a half can of your favorite 12 oz. beer and insert it in the chicken, stuff a potato or an onion in the neck and indirect grill it fo 1 to 2 hours at 350 deg f. Be careful not to spill the beer when it is done as it is hot and will give a nasty burn.

Beer butt chicken is the BEST chicken i've ever had, alwasy tender and juicy!

Heres how i like to do corn on the cobb...

Get some nice corn on the cobb=COTC (make sure its good stuff) and i take the COTC and kinda make a alum foil boat and set it in it dump a bunch butter in it, pre-melted works well, now liberally applie, season salt, garlic salt and lemon pepper and roll it around till its well coated, now wrap it up in the "boat" of foil its in and place them in your grill/fire/etc till corn is tender! Very tasty

Been meaning to try this with Browned Butter too, which all that is, is a bunch of butter that has been simmered in a skillet till brown! Has an exellent flavor to it after that!

Heres one more that everyone likes, specially for football games!

Nacho Casserole:
This can be done with a glass baking dish or i imagine a dutch oven will be fine!
Amounts depend on how many are eating, cook an aplicable amount of hamburger and season with taco seasoning or somthin close, while cooking add onions, pepper, garlic and other fave seasonings if desired, while doing that,coat the bottom of your cooking container with semi-crushed tortillia chips. Once the meat is done or very close evenly cover the bed of tortillia chips with the meat. Now pour 1 can of cheddar cheese soup and one can of southwest style pepperjack soup (mixed togather) over the chips and meat in the pan (again may need more depending how many people), Now i like to toss some sliced jalapenos onto the mix, cover that with more semi-crushed chips and finally cover thoughs with plenty of mexican blend shredded cheses and bake it till all is well melted and serve!:drool5:

This is a basic campfire Lunker Dinner. I have attached a pic for your perusal.
Not much is needed for this meal. A good size fish like the 5 lb rainbow you see here. Some McCormick's California Garlic Pepper and a cube of butter. Sprinkle the fish liberally with with Garlic Pepper both inside and out. Adjust you fire so it isn't totally blazing under the fish. Place fish on grill. While turning the fish consume large quanities of Beer and swap lies. After 15 mins cut up butter and place inside. Cook until done. Use empty cardboard box as platter and dig in with your fingers......After you eat the top half if you are careful you can dislodge the bones and spine in one piece from a properly cooked trout...
Bon Appetite!:cheers2:
dude,I was looking for a good way to cook trout ,thanks...how do you know when to pull the spine?:D..pm me if you can!

Here is some from over the 4th of July. 21 pound fresh leg of pork (uncured ham), dry rub a day ahead of time, on the smoker for 12 hours. Side dish of smoked turkey.

Attachments

• SSCN0294.JPG
    SSCN0294.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 17
  • SSCN0295.JPG
    SSCN0295.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 21
  • SSCN0296.JPG
    SSCN0296.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 19
Here is some from over the 4th of July. 21 pound fresh leg of pork (uncured ham), dry rub a day ahead of time, on the smoker for 12 hours. Side dish of smoked turkey.

Damn, that looks real good! Especially with the beer I'm holding in my hand at this moment. :thumbsup:

Back