• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Calibrate your fuel gauge?

03WIDEMAX

BFT
Reaction score
Is there a way to change when your fuel warning light comes on? Mine comes on and the DIC says I have 40 miles until empty. When this happens I'm SOL. If there is not a fuel station within spitting distance I have to start walking. I would like to adjust the warning level so it comes on earlier. :sifone:

I've driven a considerable distance with the fuel light on and it got to a point to where I was getting nervous. Even with the gauge below E, 21 gallons filled it. That pretty much baffled me.

Ok I understand your concern but here is an idea. Get fuel and a 1/4 of a tank and don't wait for the light.... Just my .02

Draggin' the 5ver home from WVa on I64 the low-fuel light came on, and we were 25 miles to the next fuel stop. Made it with no problem...except for the sweat stains. I think I have my guage figured out. Tank full, the needle is to the right past the "full" mark. At 100 miles the needle moves to the "Full" mark, at 200 miles it's at the 3/4 mark, and at 300 miles the 1/2 mark. From 1/2 to the light coming on is right around 122 miles. I too wish there was a "calibration" to make the guage more accurate because right now I go by miles more than I use the guage.
JP

for those who EFI Live I remember seeing a section on fuel, I have tampered with it but not any success

What did you do when they didn't even have this option in older trucks? :eek:
Exactly!

The fuel gauge on these trucks only gives you an approximation of how much fuel you have remaining in the tank. It is NOT very accurate. Looking at the design of the sending unit, it really can't be any more accurate than it already is unless the sending unit was designed to be submerged inside a long small diameter tube at the bottom of the tank (Not an easy design to incorporate into these trucks). So the manufacturers build in a significant "fudge factor" to ensure that people won't run out of fuel.

I go by miles since the last fill-up and the number gallons used since the last fill-up. I use the fuel gauge light only as a rough indicator of when I will need to stop for fuel (Unless you have a damaged sending unit, the miles remaining at that point are generally more than what the DIC shows). The fuel light generally comes ON in my truck when I've burned through approximately 20.5 gallons or so. The most I've ever put in was around 25.3 gallons (approx. 445 miles). The wife was sweating it that time, but I had 10 gallons spare fuel in the bed, so I wasn't too worried.

I have never run the tank dry. I always fill the tank to the bottom lip inside the filler tube, so if the factory spec of 26 gallons is anywhere close to being correct, I figure I that usually add at least an additional gallon when I stuff the tank, so I have no problem calculating that I have at least 26 gallons in my tank when I fill up.

If I'm ever in a tight situation, I would look a the number of gallons already used, and estimate how much fuel I have left. then I would reset the DIC's Miles Per Gallon display and drive for a few miles to determine the estimated MPG under those actual driving conditions. Then I would estimate approximately how many miles I have to go before running dry and plan on driving no more than 50% of that amount before I refuel.

So far, I've been fortunate and have never run out of fuel. :)

I've driven a considerable distance with the fuel light on and it got to a point to where I was getting nervous. Even with the gauge below E, 21 gallons filled it. That pretty much baffled me.

I drove almost 100 more miles with the light on. filled my 26 gallon tank with 26.405 gallons too.....:nono:

Ok I understand your concern but here is an idea. Get fuel and a 1/4 of a tank and don't wait for the light.... Just my .02

I know, I know! I was headed home from a customer and I new there was a station a few miles south, but needed to head North. There should be a station within a few miles headed back North right:nono: Well I watched the gauge as I passed each exit without a fuel station, I began to sweat and really did not enjoy the hills. The light and chime came on when I was 5 miles from the exit and I knew I was in trouble. I made the exit and had to coast into town. At the stop light I had to get out and push 8,000lbs of dually off the road. A nice lady saw me doing this and offered me a ride to and from the fuel station. 20 min later I was back on the road. :thumbsup: BTW the DIC siad I had 40miles to go when the light went on and it turned out to be about 8miles

Last edited:
I know, I know! I was headed home from a customer and I new there was a station a few miles south, but needed to head North. There should be a station within a few miles headed back North right:nono: Well I watched the gauge as I passed each exit without a fuel station, I began to sweat and really did not enjoy the hills. The light and chime came on when I was 5 miles from the exit and I knew I was in trouble. I made the exit and had to coast into town. At the stop light I had to get out and push 8,000lbs of dually off the road. A nice lady saw me doing this and offered me a ride to and from the fuel station. 20 min later I was back on the road. :thumbsup: BTW the DIC siad I had 40miles to go when the light went on and it turned out to be about 8miles

dude that sucks!

Ok, well there is definitely something not right there! I would ask the dealer what they think.

:hijacked:
JP, my guage used to work like that, till my injectors went south for the first time on me. now imlucky if i get 75 till the full mark, and end up gatting 220-250 at half. but my injectors are fine?

Ken

:hijacked:
JP, my guage used to work like that, till my injectors went south for the first time on me. now imlucky if i get 75 till the full mark, and end up gatting 220-250 at half. but my injectors are fine?

Ken

you have the 33-34 gallon tank? all i have is the 26 and i get over 300 on half a tank.. with new injectors! something is wrong man!

my DIC never gets below 41 miles to go. i put 35 gallons in my 34 gallon tank and it still said 41 miles to go.

Back