• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

C/K oil cooler questions

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question 1: on all C/K GM gas trucks, are the tubes for the engine oil cooler ran through the radiator? (i know the 6.5s are all by themselves,air to oil, but idk on the gas)

Question 2: if the above question is true, would i only need to buy lines and a correct application radiator to convert to an oil cooler? my truck doesn't have it, but i'm pretty sure it has two plugs right above the filter.

any input appreciated, thanks!

oil cooler is seperate. Their is an adapter that goes in place of oil filter. It gets sandwiched between block and filter. then hoses go to cooler.

on my 89 gasser the oil cooler is part of the radiator like the stock trans cooler..

oil cooler is seperate. Their is an adapter that goes in place of oil filter. It gets sandwiched between block and filter. then hoses go to cooler.

That's how my 97 S-10 and 97 7.4 were. Both had the sandwich adapter and a cooler integrated into the radiatior tank. Can't remember if the 01 6.0 had the sandwich adapter or not, but it had the cooler in the rad tank also.

I guess I didn't pay attention to your "year" my 89 2500 4 x4 sub had an external cooler, and an electric fan next to that. It still always ran hot though.

My Moms 99 350 Vortec has oil cooler lines that look similar to the 6.5 lines and set-up with a separate cooler...

Back