• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bypass oil setup - Looking for info

Which bypass filter brand do you run?

• Raycor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cat

• Amsoil

• Baldwin

• Total voters

98HMC4

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I've done some researching into bypass oil systems and have developed a parts list to piece my own, as well as settled on an aftermarket kit if i go that route.

However, I'm still left with two questions before pulling the trigger.

1. which oil ports on the 6.5 are supply / pressure and where do you return the oil?

2. What are the thread pitches of these ports?

I appreciate all help in advance,
Also if anyone would like to share there bypass setups I appreciate all knowledge and info there as well.

I went the easy route and used Amsoil's remote kit which uses the oil filter port on the block. For the 6.5, there is an additional adapter necessary which is not on their web page as part of one of the kits. And, depending on the mounting location, might need to purchase an additional section of hose. End result is that I have two easily accessible filters (primary and bypass) in one location which make changes *much* better than the OE 4WD setup.

The other common bypass filter installation that I am aware of leverages the oil pressure switch's line.

@JayTheCPA Pictures plz?

Must be getting older, cant remember the name of the toilet paper one, but for low pressure system it had descent results.

The centrifuge the Leroy sales is top notch. I was from familiar with and used those on other engines well before Leroy started selling them.

I am a fan of high pressure and if possible 90-100psi even into a centrifuge. The cetrifuge works amazingly, but that 90 psi makes it actually remove 100% of soot. As in your diesel oil could test out fine after 30,000 hard miles.

My opinion on where to pull bypass is a different take. I think a normal filter or low restriction screen sound great before the engine. But the front passanger oil port commonly feeding side mounted turbos is wrong for turbos and right for oil pressure gauges and bypass filters. Why? Last stop in the oil circuit, have least amount of pressure (bad for turbo, safest for gauge) and a bypass filter should never pull available oil from where it needs to be- yonder bearings.

Dream talk: dry sump external 3stage pump with 50psi one driving engine/turbo and the secondary at 100psi to the centrifuge. No actual filter, just the screen replacement for perfect oil flow. Then a 3rd stage driving diesel fuel through a marine polisher then pressure reduced to the IP eliminating the ffm, with a fuel/water separator at the tank.

Will, hate to burst your bubble but your dream talk is dreams, you noted 3 pressure stages with no suction. you'd need a fourth one there to complete the dry sump package. but i like your ideas. would be cool for full mechanical beast mode, but I'm not there right now haha.
Where is this port you speak of on the passenger side for truck oil turbo? i like this idea as well and the restriction should help keep oil pressure up actually if its at the end of the line.

Im kind of liking the idea of the amsoil kit. at $320 and just installing it with an oil adapter is quite appealing. now i just need to figure out if i have the space.

Im already adding in a fass pump, water seperator filter setup from heath, have a larger PSC reservoir. I feel like i just keep adding cylinders with lines connected to them underneath this thing!
Soon it should be pretty well off, running all clean happy fluids.

If i go custom, which still might be the route of choice. i was planning to grab oil, put it through a bypass setup using adapter to thread up amsoil filters anyway, and return it to the oil filler neck at the front of timing cover, this would also provide fresh, clean, oil to the timing area - another benefit.

Drain down to a catch can under driverside manifold where oil filters used to be, scavanged up to Oil can resivour made of steel on driver side opposite battery tray. 1 cubic foot is 7.5 gallons iirc. Could easily do 10 gallons. Didn’t mention suction system because that part is very flexable. Guess I’ll figure that out after getting back from vacation after winning the lottery to pay for it all- haha!

Back in the real world:
Picture pointing with 1 finger is front of block passanger side just lower than head is end of the line where pickups get turbo oil.
Picture with index pointing at rear location opposite -Rear driver side below head. N/A hummers use this as oil pressure sensor location. Pinky finger pointing at valley port where pickups and most hummers and vans install oil pressure sensor.

112B0C8B-1648-43E6-ACE6-A20120F12F2F.jpeg
3DBD0132-22AF-47BA-A20E-9A099835322F.jpeg

I thought about using the dream oil resivour spot (across from battery tray) as a remote filter location. Right next to oil cooler anyways. Being paranoid, i would build a metal box to protect the filters from offroad carnage or thrown rocks from front tire. Also thought about a stack plate cooler there instead of radiator style. Dang it back to dream land I go...

Im kind of liking the idea of the amsoil kit. . . . now i just need to figure out if i have the space.

There is plenty of space under the truck.

Mine was mounted horizontally under the cab. Well, actually, aft the firewall the Burb is all cab, so for better clarity, the filters are under the driver's seat. I had to buy an extra section of hose as the one that came in the kit turned into just the supply line instead of cutting it and turning it into the supply and return. The nice guy at Parker who made the return hose also talked me into a mesh sheath to run the hoses through so that they would not chafe.

Will get pictures shortly as the truck is at the 'doctors' getting some love at the moment.

Nice!
Rule about anything in the hydraulic world. If it says “Parker” it works well. Just don’t ask the price or you might change your mind.

On my dream sheet is parker QD on the ac lines at the condensor for easy removal and install for stack cleaning and no need to charge system afterwards.

Best connectors in the world.

I used Oilguard and I'm VERY happy. Mine has been on the truck for approx. 150,000 miles and I change my oil every 20,000 miles. I also have the dual remote extra large filters under the driver's seat. I broke into the turbo oil feed for pressure and returned the cleaned oil to the filler tube through a welded in AN fitting.

Digging up an old thread...

What about plumbing the bypass filter in the turbo oil feed line? I have already converted it to a 4AN hose because of the turbo swap, so 4 AN feed to the filter, outlet the filter to the turbo, and use existing 10AN drain back to the pan?

Back