• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bypass Oil Filter Filtration or the Oil Centrifuge Filtration?

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I have the traditional bypass oil filtration setup (FS-2500) with a replaceable filter, but was curious if any members think the new centrifuge filtration is better? I realize that with the centrifuge, there is no replaceable filters, and you just have to clean it out the centrifuge, but. The centrifuge makers claim that it removes 100 percent of all the contaminants and engine wear particles, whereas the filter types are in the high 90's percent wise. Any thoughts? Anyone have the newer centrifuge filtration? Pros and cons for each?

I have a centrifuge sitting with a bunch of other things to be installed.:eek:

I'm thinking the centrifuge is the way to go now. I just wanted to get some more information and feedback on it. When you do your install please think of snapping a few photos if you can. Do you have the PPE setup?

What is the PPE setup? I've heard that before but my mind is drawing a blank.

The centrifuge is one I got off ebay, I'll have to rig up all my own fittings and gauge, etc.

That's why it seemed familiar.

I got the ebay link from Great White. IIRC it was a little over a $100. I figured I could build the rest pretty easily.

They are the same style of centrifuge.

I have been looking at the ppe also.What I was wondering Is if spinning the oil like that has any affect on oil wear.
I know they claim it is suppose to extend oil life but principle tells me that the oil is being worked with the spinning affect.

I think the spinning action makes the heavier particles go toward the outside and get held in place by the spinning, while the clean oil goes back into the motor. I understand better how the conventional bypass oil filter works, by slowly sending oil through a separate bypass filter and filtering the oil much slower and more complete, and then reintegrating the "clean" oil back into the motor. Think of it like "Oil Dialysis". I am not sure I totally understand the centrifuge type of oil cleaning. I guess I am not totally sold on the principle for oil.

I have been looking at the ppe also.What I was wondering Is if spinning the oil like that has any affect on oil wear.
I know they claim it is suppose to extend oil life but principle tells me that the oil is being worked with the spinning affect.

My guess is heat and pressure are the biggest wear items on oil. I can't see this being any worse than running through the oil galleries.

100% of contaminants is impossible, how does it remove the acids of combustion? Not all contaminants are heavier than the oil itself. I know many OTR trucks have centrifugal systems installed and they work well. Do they work better than a bypass? I would need to see some documentation, I really can't say. How about before and after oil analysis? That would show something, but outside of lab controlled testing, it would be anecdotal at best. My opinion, if you already have a bypass system, sleep well. Unless this is a for fun science project.

Thanks for stepping Ashton. You have much more knowledge than I in this stuff. My question was just one of curiosity. I was wondering if anyone had any concrete evidence or any better information on the two types of bypass type set-ups. If one was better than the other.

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing the link. We all seem to have the same questions as to the oil analysis reports top back up the centrifuge. That thread was started almost a year ago.

Real nice fab work of the brackets for the 6.2/6.5 engine fit.

Back