• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

buying a duramax

Dilligas

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but i am looking to get some feedback on buying a 2002 2500hd.

The dealership doesnt seem to know much about the truck. it is going through reconditioning right now. I know that it has a turbo, and about 6-8" of lift. it also has a banks tuning system and trailer brakes.

I am not sure about the transmission. is it an allison? there are no allisson badges on the truck.

it has 80k miles price is 17,500.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

All Duramax equipped trucks have an Allison. It doesn't matter the year. It sounds like the previous owner debadged it by taking all the decals off.

Thats not a bad price though.

All Duramax equipped trucks have an Allison. It doesn't matter the year. It sounds like the previous owner debadged it by taking all the decals off.

Thats not a bad price though.

I know the newer trucks only come with the Allison, but I'm pretty sure you could get a six speed manual up until 2008.

If you crawl under the truck and look, it will say 'Allison' on the transmission pan, thats the surest way to tell.

I know the newer trucks only come with the Allison, but I'm pretty sure you could get a six speed manual up until 2008.

If you crawl under the truck and look, it will say 'Allison' on the transmission pan, thats the surest way to tell.

Couldn't you do the same thing just by looking in the cab to see if it has a shifter on the floor? ):h

The ZF-6 manual was available in the 2500 & 3500 trucks from 01 through the early 06 MY. The LBZ and newer trucks did not have an option for the manual.

If its got a Dmax and it's an automatic, the Allison was the only auto offered.

Unless it is a Van, but we're not discussing Vans here, lol. FWIW, the 2500/3500 Duramax vans were detuned and had/have the 4L80E.

Get the VIN and see if someone can run it for you to find out about the injectors, and other possible maint. repairs. The lift may have put some pressure on the tie rods...weak spot. Also, look for coolant leaks or evidence of leaks possible hose issues or water pump. The price is good....depending on what the truck looks like...condition.

Back