• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Buying 300k mile K3500 Dually

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
Found a pretty clean looking 05 K3500 CCLB Dually LT truck at a local dealership, been looking for a decent but inexpensive tow-pig for the new business (see my Gooseneck post: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/gn-trailers.45633/), and this one fits the bill. Very little rust that I can see, just surface flaws, and the only real wear I could see on the interior was the driver's seat bottom and armrest (quite clearly not been used by a family, etc). Just wondering what besides the obvious I should look for, info from the experts would be nice. I know about the HG's, definitely be interested in what the trans drives like, steering, etc. Any other things I should ask/look at? If it's still there in a week and a half when our financing clears, which I assume it will be, I'll probably be buying it.

Dealer is asking $11,900, with 302k miles.

Pics:
KHb2Qwi.jpg

Ypcngcp.jpg

XRxBVV1.jpg

IZjeaKJ.jpg

GZMbSrS.jpg

Looks pretty decent Ed. Pretty much everythingyou learned with your dad's truck applies for this one. There was the heat issue on LLYs and harness rub trouble as well as2 and 7 injectors connectors. But those should have been fixed long ago.

With that many miles, watch out for gummed up turbo veins sticking, INJECTORS(yes, lly's have almost as many go bad as lb7's now, and they cost alot more money to replace), cp3 as 300k miles is alit for anything, water pump, rear cover gaskets and o-rings, plan on pulling the cooling stack out of it, cleaning it, and replace the fan clutch with a kennedy unit, rubber fuel lines at the engi,e crack8ng and kinking, basically any wear item or rubber part as well. 300k miles is alot of miles for any truck though, so don't freak out if it needs some work, just budget it in to the price.

If you do plan on actually working it, then budget in an kbz turbo mouthpiece(if it hasnt already been done), and either an lbz airbox with a reflash, or a true cold air intake. A majority of the overheat issues on lly's was the stock airbox sucking in 160+ degree air off the cooling stack. If ypu reduce the air temp going in 50 degrees, thats less heat the intercooler has to shed, and more ixygen making it into the engine for a cleaner burn with much lower egts furthur reducing the heat loading.

I'll be getting a new LML pickup, but for the price this seems like it'd be a decent truck for a while, have anyone jump in it and not worry too much. Like I told Dad, even if it needs $5k in work (definitely needs tires, has some GY's that are pretty well done), it'll be a better deal than a 150k mile truck for $25k, that could still potentially need $5k in work.

Who's the best tuner for a Tow-tune? It'd be nice to have a smidgen more power, and get an LBZ mouthpiece and intake on there.

If you have a v2, I have a nice tow tune for an lly I could send you, otherwise I would go danville or rudgerunner for an lly. The engine can actually take quite a bit, its that 5 speed allison that isnt up to the task in stock form.

If you have a v2, I have a nice tow tune for an lly I could send you, otherwise I would go danville or rudgerunner for an lly. The engine can actually take quite a bit, its that 5 speed allison that isnt up to the task in stock form.
I do not have anything EFI related, yet. Can you only tune one truck at a time with a V2?

I do not have anything EFI related, yet. Can you only tune one truck at a time with a V2?

You can tune up to 255 (?) trucks with a V2, $125 to tune each truck for the license fee. Plus however much you pay for the tunes..

I can help you out with tunes for any of them except LML. I don't do LML tunes because of all the problems that many have run in to with them. Just have to be a little patient with me for turnaround as I do it as a hobby in my spare time. Theres also the autocal that can tune up to 8 trucks, but it gets locked to 1 tuner at a time so you have to get all your tunes from just 1 tuner is my understanding.

Ahh. I'd be looking to tune the two LLY's for now. First we gotta get to getting the truck, then get to the rest of it, lol.

And yeah, I totally get doing it on the side Ferm.

Haven't gotten the $ to buy anything yet, lol. Waiting on a few things to clear. But unless someone else buys it it's mine. Definitely want a 4x4...

Back