• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Buy clutch disc only?

davo727

Reaction score
Tryin to find someplace to sell me a new friction disc only , single mass type. Auto parts stores all have kits with the press plate too.

My 92 dually came with a new flywheel, LUK press plate and disc that some goof installed without a pilot bearing and loose flywheel bolts.

So the owner parked it , never drove it other than in the yard once and obviously it didnt work well. The friction disc metal body has a couple of cracks in it from the flexing from no pilot bearing. I may just tig weld them up but would like a new disc. Press plate and flywheel are perfect.

Welding the disc will throw it off balance most likely or create a slight warp in it. Leo
Edit: I like your photo album Mad Max:thumbsup:​

Whats you guys experience on pilot bearings?

I got a new needle bearing from GM but then saw some stuff saying to use a brass bushing instead cuz the needle bearing will grenade??

It's in a different brand of truck but i got 300,000 miles out of a bronze pilot bushing in a farm truck. A lot of abuse and the only reason it was changed was I put a newer motor in from a donor truck. Leo

If all else fails buy a kit and then return it with the old part in it.....Nah probably shouldn't do it.:nono: Yeah most places won't sell just the disc becaue to many people will try to blame the store when it gets screwed up due to their ignorance. Hope you find what you need.

Tryin to find someplace to sell me a new friction disc only , single mass type. Auto parts stores all have kits with the press plate too.

My 92 dually came with a new flywheel, LUK press plate and disc that some goof installed without a pilot bearing and loose flywheel bolts.

So the owner parked it , never drove it other than in the yard once and obviously it didnt work well. The friction disc metal body has a couple of cracks in it from the flexing from no pilot bearing. I may just tig weld them up but would like a new disc. Press plate and flywheel are perfect.

Try this site for your replacement parts. I also used a LUK clutch and a bronze bearing, not the needle bearing. I like old school when it comes to durability

http://www.lukclutch.com/catalog/de...let&query_model=C2500&query_displacement=6.5L

Last edited:
What did the bad pilot pilot bearing cause

Hey Davo,

What kind of problems and damage did that improper installation cause? I just got my new input shaft and pilot bearing after waiting for shipping for a week. Seems that my previous owner had to put in a new LUK clutch, so he dropped the tranny, took the pieces of the old destroyed bearing out, and put the tranny right back on. He also seems to have overtorqed one side of the bellhousing causing a 4 inch all-the-way-through crack in it. Been a pain fixing this. Bellhousing $305.00, Pilot bearing $25.00, Input shaft $125.00. Anyways, my clutch used to really chatter, but I am hoping these repairs may fix it. I also R2'd the rear main seal. Does your rig, with bad pilot bearing, chatter? Anyways, take care.

Hey interstates- It put a couple 3/8 in long cracks in the disc , broke the dowel pin off in the crank, slightly goofed a couple of flywheel bolt holes where the flywheel bolts to the crank.

It was not drivable, You could start it in gear and idle around with it but you could not shift it running. And yeah it rattled like hell.

I have another NV4500 from my parts truck that had been rebuilt previously so im going to use that one for the dually. Have been working OT tryin to get $ together and hope to have it on the road around beginning of april.

Thanks I will make some calls monday.

Your welcome, ask them about the Kevlar pilot bearing, they are supposed to be almost indestructible, that may be the ticket, I didn't because they were brand new at the time and I was a little skeptical about Kevlar for a bearing.

Your welcome, ask them about the Kevlar pilot bearing, they are supposed to be almost indestructible, that may be the ticket, I didn't because they were brand new at the time and I was a little skeptical about Kevlar for a bearing.
I would be a little skeptical as well, not that it won't wear well but if anything wears it will be the trans. shaft. I've seen a lot of plastic grommets wear holes in metal hyd. lines.
Leo​

Last edited:
I would be a little skeptical as well, not that it won't wear well but if anything wears it will be the trans. shaft. I've seen a lot of plastic grommets wear holes in metal hyd. lines.
Leo​

That is exactly why I did not buy one. I have seen nylon wear shafts out as well.

Heads up on that pilot bearing,

I went to NAPA and got the slide hammer type pilot bearing puller, (SER 3573,) for $95.00. Didn't even budge the bearing going full out wild on that thing. Then I tried to make the other style one here at home with one of those Steering wheel lock plate pullers, bent that horseshoe like a twig. Finally went back and got the other style puller from NAPA, (BK 7002476) for $90.00. The horseshoe on this one is way thicker and with about a million pounds of torque and it almost taking my head off when it shot out like a bullet, I got the old one out. The new one went in easy, just used a big brass drift I had around here. Also, be aware, my old-man told me that back in the day, he used to pack a real hard grease level with the hole, then use an old input shaft to force the grease in there. Repeat, and the bearing will eventually come out so long as you don't let your input shaft strike the bearing. Tried this on mine, but it was way to wallered out. I will post some pics of the old and new pilot bearings and input shafts.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=SER&PartNumber=3573&Description=Pilot+Bearing+Puller
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BK&PartNumber=7002476&Description=Pilot+Bearing+Puller

Did you ever find a clutch kit without the flywheel? I had the same problem on my last clutch.

Sorry no, Have been workin OT at the airport to fund truck projects and today I worked on my daughters 93 stepside-
put the new headliner and visors in, insulated the floorpan and put in new carpet. Picking up the recovered seat and door panels at the upholsterer friday. I want to get it all back together friday so i can give her the truck.

Then I can start getting something done on my diesel project.

Back