• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Busticated LuK Clutch

SCREAMINXL

CoMpReSsIoN HeAd
Reaction score
attachment.php

6.5 Liters of raw DiEsEl power :drive:

Was that a dual mass swap to a single mass Luk......I've heard of some 7.3 PS, doing that?

BTW the Quadsteer GMC is some beautiful truck.....Best Luck!

Yes it is the DM to SM Luk kit in my brothers 94. Wish he had a great story, but it literally just BROKE going down the road. 55K Miles, the disc has little to no wear.

Yes, that is classic failure, hub seperation. I'll guess the pilot bearing is gone and the input shaft nose is gualled and chewed up. And or the input bearing is excessively worn.

Diesel harmonics are just as and or more deadly than raw torque on the clutch disc hub. It has to absorb all those torsional vibes from the crank because the big truck drivetrain doesn't want to move as quick. Low end torque, lugging launch, and weak rear spring wrap is a killer on a clutch disc hub. Really anything that has slack or encourages vibration and torsional movement in the drivetrain is going to kill this weak component. GM clutch'es SUCK always have in my opinion. But I am a handshaker driver by choice and love'em anyway.

Look down in transmission section many use the solid pilot bearing with greater success and maybe the Kevlar one. I suspect a Fluid dampner would also help extend the clutch life as well but that is just my opinion.

on edit
The original owner of my truck lost a clutch at about 60K miles. GM replaced clutch and input bearing on transmission. I did another clutch at 120ish K miles busted center section. I put in a Luk gold with a solid bushing pilot bearing and so far so good. Hope i don't jinx myself.

Last edited:
Installed the solid bushing when we did the SM converion. Bushing and input shaft look good, but I will still replace the pilot bushing. Going with a Zoom clutch this time. Will let you guys know how it works and if it breaks.

Mine did the same thing excactly. just driving and boom. Took out input shaft and pilot bearing too. I cant for the life of me remember what I put back in though. I know it wasn't a LUK though.

I want to convert my 4L80E to a NV4500. Just need the cash, and an exact donor truck to mine, i let one slip away allready, wont do it on the next one...

Uhhgg too bad. Do report back on the Zoom that is one of the few aftermarket SMF discs. When mine fails again I would like to upgrade. I think Ratman put in a Zoom and at last report (not that many miles yet) was doing fine.

Ratman chime in or anyone else with a Zoom.

I was thinking about it, but the clutch is 28 months old and has 55K miles. I think they will hang up laughing if I ask about warranty!:rof:

If anyone else has had good luck with a different clutch or seen something that looked good please let me know. I have no problems sending back the Zoom if you can talk me into something else.

I installed a Zoom in guys 96 Cobra and he loved it compared to the dual friction Centerforce. Buttttttttttt that would an apples to oranges comparison!:mad2:

I had had 2 LUK clutches drop torsion springs into the pressure plate 2 months apart,the last clutch Napa replaced under warranty and paid labour,so far so good but its still a LUK-junk.

try south bend clutch.

They have 2 clutch kits listed for a SMF setup. 92-95 and 96-02. I'm running an autozone clutch in my blazer, but that's a 6.2 NA, versus a TD. About 4,500 miles on it so far. Next clutch i put in will be a South Bend, that is if their 6.5 clutch will work in something other than an NV4500.

not sure if i can link to them or not, but they are easy to find.

I think Ratman put in a Zoom and at last report (not that many miles yet) was doing fine.

Ratman chime in or anyone else with a Zoom.

Nope, -it wasn't me with the Zoom, -must be somebody else. Unfortunately I am running the Luk. On a side note, my disc looks different than the one in the photo. Overall, I'm not very impressed with this clutch. I ran a full ceramic 12" on my 402 BBC truck with the 465 trans, -and that thing would hook and hold. This Luk clutch is about as gutless as they come. Mine is already glazed up really bad (probably due to some holeshots) and is chattering like a mother.

It's low on my list of priorities for the truck this year, -but when I get up in there to take that sucker out, -that disk and pressure plate are going bye bye for sure. I really do like the solid flywheel though, -it isn't all slushy and mushy when you let the clutch out, -I just wish it had a little more bite and hold.

Hopefully mine holds together for a while, -now I'm nervous..

i just put in a valeo and it seems to hold well i havent hauled any loads or tree stup pulling but it engages nicely and has a good feel.

Love that... "busticated"

Everyone that's put in a S Bend has been very satisfied in the DMax world.

I wanted a South Bend...................was quoted 715.00 & 900.00 Kevlar from a local dealer, I'm thinking they quoted me a complete SMF kit. Zoom should be here tomorrow, will post some pics when it gets here. I was thinking about a DF Centerforce.

Oops it was Packratt not Ratman. Yeah, I get some chatter on launch as well with my Luk but I can correlate it very well to fuel quality/lubricity. It does not do it all the time. More at first during warm up and its way worse with cheap fuel. If I dose with Stanadyne Performance Formula and SAE 30 ND its much smoother launch (less chatter). I suspect it is the low rpm idle control and strong Diesel power pulse and tough compression stroke that compounds the issue for me. This is why I also think a Fluid Dampener would also help clutch life it might smooth out the "cam over" / Diesel "chug over" crankshaft torsional harmonics at a lugging idle launch. Note my IP is OE and long in the tooth with original timing chain too. So my precise electonic controlled injection is not so precise anymore.

Seems I remember something A Ford driving friend said he heard not to launch in 2nd gear in the ZF and always launch in 1 to ease the loading on the clutch / DMF and idle control ???? Riding with him shifting through all 6 gears always seemed overkill and a bit annoying sometimes.

Call and talk to Center Force way back when I did mine I talked to them and the guy said it was an OEM disc resurfaced with new material. And it is not the counter weighted pressure plate spring famous centerforce either.

Looking forward to pics of the Zoom. I missed them as an option when I did my research. I looked at Hays, Luk Gold, and Southbend at the time was suggesting DMF for the 6.5. Now they offer a SMF.

I wanted a South Bend...................was quoted 715.00 & 900.00 Kevlar from a local dealer, I'm thinking they quoted me a complete SMF kit. Zoom should be here tomorrow, will post some pics when it gets here. I was thinking about a DF Centerforce.

i think they did when i call SB they told me like $300 IIRC for just the clutch.

Holy crap, $900 for a clutch is hella-expensive. I did know a guy that tried a 12" single-disk kevlar setup on his BBC truck, -he said it was too soft. I tried a DF centerforce on my 402/SM465 and it worked pretty good until I smoked it doing a hillclimb in 3rd gear.

I'm curious how the zoom works out, -keep us posted.

Having a twin disk would kill two birds with one stone, -I think 6.2 did that on his rig. I know a twin disk is standard equipment on the 366 BBC with the eaton 5-speed, but I'm pretty sure the bellhousing is way different.

6.2, -chime in? Inquiring handshakers want to know!! :agreed:

Back