• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

busted rear window

bison

Reaction score
I was stupid today,when loading firewood i send a log trough the rear window of my old 89:rolleyes5:
Yea i should've had a headache rack on it ,but i should've done so many things i didn't do and regret later.

Anyway,i got a good window in my parts truck.
How easy or hard will it be to get the thing out without reducing it in a pile of shards like the other one .It looks like the bloody thing is glued in there like everything else these days.

Any educated pointers there friends, besides giving advice to go the wind shield shop:nonod:

alot of windows are cut out with a wire. Get it poked thru and put a solid handle on each end and slice your way around it

I haven't looked at one since my 81, on it there was a rubber strip that was pulled out of the window seal. Once that was out the glass was easy to replace.

Yea,that was back in the good old days,easy does it.

Nowadays the motto seems to be,why do it the easy way when there is a difficult one.

Tack weld a metal plate over the old busted back window and put some bars on it to double as a headache rack. Finish with some silicone or a full weld. Fix two issues at once - I just don't see a ranch truck needing a window...

A used guitar string works very well. about a .030 something. Ha....I did the same thing to my old 2000. I just put it through insurance. Glass is a no fault.

It depends on what they used to put it in,, Urethane, or butyl tape. the Butyl tape, is the soft type that can me cut with a guitar string and 2 pairs of vice grips. Poke it thru and have a friend on the out side grab it,, and the 2 of you saw it back and forth leaning towards the direction of the cut, all the way around. If it's urethane'd in the glass shop guys, have a tool with a small L shaped blade that wiggles back and forth about and inch or so. plung it in the seal, and go around the glass. the molding on the outside will get destroyed either way. Some times you can grab that and pull it out. but if it was put in with the Urethane, then it too will be glued in place. I've got the tool, come on over and I'll give you a hand! :D You buy the beer.
To reinstall,, get your urethane warm (it's tough to squeeze out of the caulk gun cold!) scrape off all the old stuff,, put a nice bead on. Put a V notch in the tube, to leave a tower on top of the bead, and set the glass in place,set your rubber blocks in place, to keep it from sliding down and tape it to hold it for a day or 2.

It depends on what they used to put it in,, Urethane, or butyl tape. the Butyl tape, is the soft type that can me cut with a guitar string and 2 pairs of vice grips. Poke it thru and have a friend on the out side grab it,, and the 2 of you saw it back and forth leaning towards the direction of the cut, all the way around. If it's urethane'd in the glass shop guys, have a tool with a small L shaped blade that wiggles back and forth about and inch or so. plung it in the seal, and go around the glass. the molding on the outside will get destroyed either way. Some times you can grab that and pull it out. but if it was put in with the Urethane, then it too will be glued in place. I've got the tool, come on over and I'll give you a hand! :D You buy the beer.
To reinstall,, get your urethane warm (it's tough to squeeze out of the caulk gun cold!) scrape off all the old stuff,, put a nice bead on. Put a V notch in the tube, to leave a tower on top of the bead, and set the glass in place,set your rubber blocks in place, to keep it from sliding down and tape it to hold it for a day or 2.
Sounds like a lot of work, I may go the redneck route and bolt a 3/4" sheet of plywood over the hole,i might even cut a hole in that and put a piece of plastiglass on it.:cool:

BTW thanks for the help offer,but you're a few miles to far south to take you up on that ;)

Sounds like a lot of work, I may go the redneck route and bolt a 3/4" sheet of plywood over the hole,i might even cut a hole in that and put a piece of plastiglass on it.:cool:

BTW thanks for the help offer,but you're a few miles to far south to take you up on that ;)
:redneck:

HA!!! You guys are the best... at lest center the window Si.....

Whats sad, is that it probably takes less to properly replace the windshield than to redneck it.

meh, for a ranch truck cut yourself a piece of plexi and silicone it in.

Heck, use construction adhesive if you want.

As long as it keeps the heat in in winter and the rain out in summer, who cares when you're bashing across the fields or burning down the grid roads?

Back