• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bumper Work

BigBearZach

Reaction score
So i recently took all the rubber trim and stops off my front bumper and filled in the holes. Now i would like to clean it up a bit more before i paint it and some of the welds when i filled in the holes had porocity and others i may have ground down a little to much. Now the question what do i need to use to fill in the holes and bring the ones i grond down to much back up?

Chrome bumper? Pin holes in a weld is impurities gassing out. Gotta clean all coatings/dirt from the base metal before you weld.

If mig, try a higher flow on your gas if outdoors. A breeze can blow away your gas shield and give you the same 'holes' in your weld.

Try building some weld and grinding it back to where you need to be. Maybe the holes will fill.

To metal finish for prime use progressively finer flap sander wheels. Finish with a orbital sander at about 220 grit and you should be able to get away with just a good high build primer.

Chrome usually won't hold any paint even if it's sandblasted. Might get a painted W/T bumper? (plain jane)

You can use adhesion promoter on chrome pieces so that the paint will stick really hard.

yeah i did it a few months ago and did use the adhesion promoter and glad to say that is is still working well and the paint is not chipping off of them

Back