• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bumper Pull Car Trailer

rlb

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a bumper pull trailer that I can tow a car or SUV with, and the occasional 1/2 ton pickup. It would see light use, I might tow 2000mi/yr with it.

Not really sure where to get started. The tow vehicle is a 2500 suburban w 4.10 gears. It has a brake controller, and I believe a class V hitch. I figure a 18' 7000GVWR trailer should be a good match. Comments appreciated.

I see the trailers from Big Tex are pretty inexpensive. The one I am looking at is the 70CH-18.

My budget is about 2 grand. Would prefer a good used trailer, but haven't found anything decent yet.

I went with a 10k rated 18 footer. I haul a loader tractor occasionally and good size loads of firewood sometimes as well. 1/2 ton truck will get you over 6k so you're in the neighborhood. dual axle brakes are a must and a good controller in the cab (Tekonska brand recommended). A tongue box with chains, binders, ratchet straps, shackles, etc is a good idea. Here's a pic of mine. I was disappointed in how the paint didn't hold up but I only paid around $3500 all in as new. Couple other pics in my profile albums.

031.jpg

Were are you located?

Look up Texas Trailer Supply on google and Austin Craigs List.

He has a wood deck 18 foot car hauler for $1650.

http://www.texastrailersupply.com/

http://austin.craigslist.org/fod/4393046723.html

If you watch Craigs List you can find good deals on car haulers. I got a 18 foot steal deck home made car hauler for $1700.

That's pretty much what i'm looking for. But, I am in North Carolina. Have found some similar stuff here for about $2200

I have a BigTex trailer (1993) and it only has brakes on the rear axle. Not sure what your state laws are or how close you read the advertising, but make sure when it says "electric brakes" they are on both axles. Unless you only want them on (1) axle...and then it doesn't matter :)

dont buy anything with 3500lb axles,go 6 lug 4800/5200lb or better yet go 8 lug 6000/7000lb axles,dont skimp

I have to agree with a lot of the threads. Buy a trailer 10k capacity so if you choose to pull more weight, you don't have to worry about it. The cheap car trailers you can tell these from a good trailer, because when they are hauled empty they flex a lot going down the road. I would save your money and buy one like btfarm.

10K is a nice capacity. heavy enough to do most anything you should, and light enough you dont look overly commercial. plus if you own a C3500HD @ 15K GVWR, then a 10K trailer would keep you under 26K GCWR.

did you look at Kaufman? IIRC they are made in N.C. they offer two grades, economy grade and a better grade (not called pro grade, but means pro grade) the pro level has tighter stringer spacing, better wiring, better lights, more stake pockets, etc.

good luck with the new trailer!

I looked at Kaufman. I have pulled a few cars around with a friend's 18' metal deck trailer. Nice trailer.

Got a deal on the proline though. They are also made here in NC about 30 minutes from my house. $2800 for the trailer I mentioned above.

I haven't picked it up yet, just have not had time. Hoping to get it this week. I should have my truck back up and running tomorrow.

Pro-Line sold the other trailer and won't have one coming in for a few weeks. The website says they are made here in NC however the guy told me they are shipped in from Texas??

Anyway I may have been upsold once again. The apple of my eye is now a Kaufman. 21 foot deck length, 10,000lb deluxe with diamond plate, radials, stake pockets, slide out ramps with a spare tire is $3400 out the door cash price. Damn I only paid $1800 for the tow rig! And my 350 could barely move 10,000lbs. But its only 300 bucks more than the 8000lb 19 footer so I might as well right? :)

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/car-trailers/diamond-floor-car-trailer/10000-21-diamond-car-deluxe/

I'd suggest the Kaufman but make sure there's room for a tongue box and the front center is stout enough to hook a winch or come-along to

Going to look at the Kaufman trailer tomorrow. Might come home with one. What do you all recommend for tie down stuff. Not sure if I should do 5/16 chain or 3/8. Pulling cars, jeeps or light trucks and a tractor (tractor maybe 3500lbs) I haven't used lever action binders before but I like that they are a little quicker than the ratchet binders. Might get two of each?

Looking online here... or might just head to local agri-supply.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Flatbed-Trailer-Products/Transport-Chain-Chain-Binders

I have 4 5/16" x 10' chains with grab hooks both ends and 2 lever binders that do most any of the work I need. I have quite a few other things in the box but those are the first out for hauling the tractor.

Good rule of thumb when tying stuff down is 4 chains and four corners, especially equipment. That helps eliminate any side to side movement. Just running a chain from the left side to right side might allow movement from side to side.

Always remember to have binders and chains with good ratings. The strongest chain in the world is no good if you have a weak binder same way for strong binders, but weak chains.

Around here you at the very least have to have a binder on all 4 corners

Sent from my Studio 5.0s using Tapatalk

Back