• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Built trans here I come.

H&H

Recruit
Reaction score
well boys, lost my allison tonight on the 1/4 mile. Lost it in 3rd gear, went to limp mode in 3rd. She didnt have enough holding power in 3rd gear limp mode to start rolling from a dead stop. :eek: I started to smell burnt clutches at 1/2 track.

looks like i get to join the built trans club. :)

no prob on the wallet really, ill be building my own from my local allison shop. Just need a suncoast torque converter. They have my steels, clutches and shift kit.

Im kinda excited :)

Since suncoast stopped making the 1057 and the 1058's are getting a bad rap. I think ill be going with precison industries new torque convert.

What is your 2 cents? :)

And since ill have the trans out ill be getting a True down pipe to install:D know any one with a good price on one GmcLbz? :)

And since ill have the trans out ill be getting a True down pipe to install:D know any one with a good price on one GmcLbz? :)

Maybe.....:D Let me see what I can come up with. Also the 1056 converter isn't a bad deal either. It works pretty well with a factory turbo.

I think the 1056 is just a hair looser than the 57. or was that a hair tighter... not quite sure but for a daily driver I dont think youd be dissapointed. and a precision industries would also be comparable to a suncoast from what I understand.

Congrats on the build. Let us know how you like the PI Converter. I've heard good things from people running it.

Maybe.....:D Let me see what I can come up with. Also the 1056 converter isn't a bad deal either. It works pretty well with a factory turbo.

I was told the the 1056 is typically used in the trucks that were lifted. I guess it's the difference in the stall speed??

The new 54 is good for daily driven trucks with stock turbos. But Its a really tight convertor. Its what ill be going with for now.

I havent heard too bad of things about the 58 but if you have a stock turbo I dont think you would like it because its REALLY loose.

the 1056 is for pulling, lifted trucks ect.
the 1057 is the prefect all around torque converter
the 1058 is crazy, look it up. All it wants to do is spin tires.

Mike L makes one very similar to the 1057 in performance its called the ML. Ill be going with Mike L's torque converter.

what about the 54??? you didnt mention that one. Mike L had a huge part in designeing that one.

Im mad that they quit making the 57.

Im super pissed they stopped making the 1057 and replaced it with the 1058. The 58 has no street manners at all from what I have seen. I hear lots of good about the mike L converters tho.

I dont know much about the 54 and 55, I think they are just older converters..let me check :)

the 55 is built for huge turbos, it basically has no power limit. Not really for towing, just a huge all around torque converter for dragging and sled pulling.

Sorry to do this, but we dont have this on our site. And its very useful information.

Go to DP and look up the Allison Aftermarket section> the sticky on top with the heading Suncoast TC data : Should give you all the data you need :)

Again sorry, but its a useful tool from Mike L.

the 54 is not old. Its a brand new converter that just came out this year. Mike L was the leading designer in it.

Im super pissed they stopped making the 1057 and replaced it with the 1058. The 58 has no street manners at all from what I have seen. I hear lots of good about the mike L converters tho.

I dont know much about the 54 and 55, I think they are just older converters..let me check :)

;)

Back