• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Building a flat bed

Ok here is the picture I get from what you are saying. Is there some better way to tie the 3" into the 4" frame? Thanks a lot for your advice.

Actually the 3" needs to be on top of the frame like the other crosspieces, right?
I do have a brain...I just hide the fact sometimes.

You are correct, the 3" sits atop the 4" and the angle goes in as you drew out..................but don't put it where your hitch ball is too deep, remember you gotta crank that trailer up to clear the deck and if the ball is too deep that just creates more cranking

Looks pretty good, does Phil have you useing any torsenional gusset on the side to stop the bed from tweaking or rolling over on the frame, when a gooseneck is hooked to it?

I still have two pieces of 3" channel to weld along the top of the 4" frame, between the g/n ball cross pieces. Those should keep everything where it belongs.

When I weld the decking on does it help limit the warping to tack everything down first in a corner to corner pattern, or start on both ends and work to the middle, or just start on one end and work to the other?

Go corner to corner and stitch weld after all is tacked together, make no long runs.........2-5 inches tops at a time and switch around working way around. Oh, weld frame out complete before attaching decking. weld nothing to frame of truck............bolt bed to frame using 3 to 4 pcs welded to bed per side

Looks pretty good, does Phil have you useing any torsenional gusset on the side to stop the bed from tweaking or rolling over on the frame, when a gooseneck is hooked to it?

Maybe I ought to stick something between the 4" rails to keep them from rolling on the truck frame to......

I concur, welding in the ball is feasible though it's not something I would leave up to someone who was not experienced. Most of the flatbeds I've seen or been around have something like this:

BW_flatbed_web.jpg

Note, the bracket welds in providing much more surface for your weld and it is not one of those folding hide-a-ball setups. It is a 2-5/16" ball rated for 30k lbs with a 7.5k lbs tongue weight.
Looks like mine(B&W). My ball is not recessed, so the 'flip' sure comes in handy in making a flat, smooth bed.

Still coming along.....

Should I make more support for the bumper ball or will what I have work? (Obviously the welding is not finished) but do I need more steel there?)

Well here is the last couple days progress....it takes a while when it is crammed in between school and other work. I ended up using 16 ga. (for weight and PRICE)...seems a little thin but with the tool boxes and trimming I don't think there will be a square foot that is not supported. I hope I don't come to regret it.

This is the way I am thinking of bolting it down....3 places on each side. Does that look like enough or do I need more? Any input is greatly appreciated.

The front two bolts go through a piece of angle that I welded on to the bed frame. These stick out and rest on the support for the original bed.

Back