• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Building a flat bed

they do offer a box built just for flatbeds that mounts on top of the bed and has a big pullout, it is built to last, but it costs about 800 bucks, obviously it doesn't take near that to built considering you can get complete flatbeds for 1000.

But no, i haven't seen a big pullout drawer idea like that, it sounds awesome though.

http://www.truck-tool-box.com/hd-series.php - is kind of what i'm talking about - but you've already got the bed. I want to build a bed that is 1 solid surface on top and put (4) 2' wide, 2' long toolboxes along the driver's and passenger side of the bed - and place the actual bed on top. Yes, the surface will be raised the depth of the box, but the tools will be secure, protected, and maximize your bed space. The only problem is - how to make the bed structurally sound. I'll try and draw up a sketch when I get a chance.

flat bed

I was looking for info on building a flat bed for my 2002 ford F250. Ran across this site and found it very interesting and information. I just joined this site, but was not able to view any of the pictures. I'm new to computers, so it my be very old now... not sure. If anyone can help, I could surely need it... I really would like to build a flat bed... thanks for any and all help....Alan

I was looking for info on building a flat bed for my 2002 ford F250. Ran across this site and found it very interesting and information. I just joined this site, but was not able to view any of the pictures. I'm new to computers, so it my be very old now... not sure. If anyone can help, I could surely need it... I really would like to build a flat bed... thanks for any and all help....Alan

First let me Welcome you to the Truck Stop! :thumbsup:

This build is from 2009 so, it is old.

It seems his pictures are missing.

Let me get back to you on this one.

Looks like all the pictures that I took while building it are back home in Texas on my dad's computer............ here are a couple I found of it though....DSCN0016.JPG DSCN0577.JPG DSCN0036.JPG

you did a good job building the flat bed. looks good enough to be a store bought bed.

Thanks..... it has held up to all that I have thrown on it. But some of its good looks are due to poor image quality. I am still not an expert welder and this was one of my first welding projects back in my senior year of HS...... So if you look too closely.................

Still have dreams of adding more tool boxes under the bed, and maybe an air compressor with a small air tank.

I am still not an expert welder and this was one of my first welding projects back in my senior year of HS...... So if you look too closely.................

Guess you haven't seen some of the welds on those "professionally built" beds then, huh? Lol
Don't ever buy a starlight trailer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yeah, most companies I have seen (flatbed,trailer, wrought iron) just hire guys straight out of school or with never having welded before. If they can make hold together 6 months, thats all they need.

So you probably are welding above the normal level since yours is holding up fine. Just practice will get things lookin pretty usually.

I found if a guy had some basic skills, then took a class or two to fix the issues, they usually turned out great. Most the guys that take welding class first or never, don't. Some guys will find an out of work pipeliner and a structural welder and hire them a week or so as a teacher.

Also, as I have learned the hard way- dont stop practicing it. The skill fades- I can't do half of what I used to. Keep at it, and get some training.

I got some training in my aircraft mechanic training. Really enjoy fabbing stuff up like that, but as you say it takes steady use to keep the rust off of the skill. I may have an opportunity to refurbish an old 1940's tube and fabric Aeronaca Champ that needs a good bit of TIG welding to replace some rusted out tubes.

One of the best welders I know spent a decade in prison split up over a couple visits. While he was in became an amazing tattoo artist and I don’t like tats, so that is saying something. His artwork he did in prison gave him incredible hand eye coordination. He would sit for hours doing drawing circles, c patterns, cross over, etc. Absolutely the most beautiful welds you would ever see.

Made me think- how much better would I be now if I just drew patterns for 15 minutes a day when relaxing on the couch. Then I remember I am more tired of welding than I am spinning wrenches- haha. Seriously though, perfectly repeatable patterns is the biggest thing to make a gorilla weld (strong but ugly) turn pretty. If the pattern of the weld isn’t consistent- practice drawing your weld pattern on paper each night. Just like doing the penny on the barrel while dry fire trick. It all adds up to practice.

Here are a couple more pictures of the flat bed. The only thing that I have changed since the old pictures were taken is I cut out the back "bumper" and welded in a cut up 2" receiver.... Works a whole lot better than the ball that I had mounted to the 4" channel. Also added a picture of the grill guard I made before I made the bed.DSCN9976.JPG DSCN9977.JPG DSCN9978.JPG DSCN9979.JPG DSCN9980.JPG

Right behind the golf course and right across the road from the plant called Patheon we did the HVAC work in a building about 4 years ago. It was a small building compared to the rest of what’s out there. I can’t remember what kind of company it was back then but it had a hanger door on the back of the building. We have a crew in Patheon working now. We also did the HVAC work in 3 of the big airplane hangers for Lockheed Martin about 10 years and another one about 3 years ago. There are some HUGE planes that come in and out of there.

Me and a fellow that used to work with me talked to a test pilot for Lockheed and he said that he made $101 a hour just to fly the military planes with test parts on them. That was about 10 years ago so no telling what he makes now if he is still doing it.

Back