• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Build-a-Truck 2WD to 4WD conversions leaf to link suspension oh my

3500GMC

What T F, over
Reaction score
So, one has a pile-o-parts. One wants to get creative. What would one do?

I absolutely love my 84 K10 Scottsdale.. But.. Ohio has not been kind to her- read- she's returning to Mother Earth..

For some odd reason, I want to continue her stay and build a link style suspension front and rear, doing away with the leaf springs altogether.. (gasp)... among the obvious body replacement.. Got the body thing covered so far.. The 84 frame is SHOT..

Think of it as a 'toy' for the most part, that is light on it's feet, can crawl on rocks 'good' can highway 'good' and RIDE 'good' and even jump 'good'. You get the gist..

NOW.. this may be old news/ideas to some but, why not use a 2WD chassis as a start? Since we will be concentrating the load to coils in the front (airbags even?) would this be an option? I have a freebie 2WD 3/4 ton roller that's real nice.

I just 'know' somebody has been there before but I cannot find any pics or info on this..

Anybody?

You should spend some time in the Hardcore section of IH8MUD. It is a forum for Toyota enthusiasts so almost everything you find there will be for the 40, 45, 55, 60, and 80 series Toyota. But, you'll find a lot of info on linked suspensions.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/

There is also Pirate4X4, but i don't frequent that site so I can't say just what you'll find there. I do know that it is similar to IH8MUD.

Don

I thought about converting a 2wd to 4x4. Set up would be very simular to the 05+ Ford Super Duty coil sprung.

Doing some guesstimating, the 2WD chassis would be just fine. Maybe would have to move the upper spring pockets to a higher point. It'd be really cool to have some big long Fox coil over reservoir shocks. :) I like the idea of big air bags for the suspension but that may be trouble, I dunno.

Shaved 14 bolt FF rear, Dana 44 front- maybe a Dana 60.. ARB air lockers F+R.

Pseudo rock crawler, mud runner, trail machine..

Already have a complete TPI SBC from an IROC Cam-barley-go.. :D It's got the 'Painless' harness that's +4 feet.. I think a nice turbo setup might wake it up.

Just ideas at this point.

Back