• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

broke down, again!

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
in the cab of a tow truck. same thing yesterday. thought it was the lp, gauge showed zero pressure. changed it, was t it so changed filter. pressure showed 7. all good, i thought. drove in this morn, 45 miles down the road rpm/speed starts falling. made it to work, max speed 20. drovt to flaps thinking it was the ip screen. removed everything to get to it and it was clean. no strange noises/vibrations. at a loss and am very discouraged.
think i will count my losses, lick my wounds and pull the 6.5. try to pull funds from my arse because i dont have any extra. gonna sell extra parts and get either a 4bd or 4bt. dont need to tow a lot but like the room and ride of the 4 door.
if there are problems with my typing its because this ford wont stop bouncing.

It is that masked man in your avatar sabotaging your truck. :rof:

That sux, riding in a ford makes it a double whammy. :agreed:

Wish you luck on what ever your adventures take you. :thumbsup:

is your pressure guage permanent or just temp.? also are you reading your pressure prefilter or post filter?

pump is perm. located post. do you think it might be reading total pressure instead of lp pressure?

there is no controls on the engine, it's mechanical. TCM(trans) has been overrode and has full manual control.

so to recap you have a fixed pressure guage that when you start to have trouble it shows that your losing fuel pressure?

so to recap you have a fixed pressure guage that when you start to have trouble it shows that your losing fuel pressure?
it did 2 days ago. after i changed LP and filter, it shower 7 psi. it was reading 7 all day today, even when the rpm's were dropping.

.....................thinking it was the ip screen. removed everything to get to it and it was clean. ................
in my first post.
in the 5th post, states i am getting good flow from tank.

Do a volume test, had 6.5 PSI, and very little flow. Heath had me do a flow test, and volume was next to none. Should have around a gallon in 1 min.

How cold is it there? The symptoms are sounding a lot like what I'm dealing with in my '94, In my case it was gelled fuel.threw in some Diesel 911 and let it sit for a day to let it reliquify the fuel.

Sock problems can be intermintent. When the truck stops the crud can be dislodged from the sock til it gets sucked back again.

I always run about a 1/2 gallon of fuel out the drain into a clear jug - I use a one gallon pickle jar. I note the flow while looking for crud or whatever while pumping and let it sit for 20 minutes or so and look for water bubbles.

I have had just running the fuel out the drain clear up my problem.

I always double check a lift pump when changing. Often I will disconnect the out side of the pump, run a hose to a container and note if the flow is the same as that out of the drain. If there is bad flow I pump from one container to another to see if the lift pump works off the vehicle. I do all these steps because I've been burnt by not doing them at some point in time. Switching parts without diagnostics gets expensive

Always use an Ac Delco lift pump if going OEM style

jrsavoie, thanks for the step by step. i will most def do that but unfortunately we have plans this weekend and next. seems like every day off i am working on one of my trucks. other things are getting neglected and the wife is losing patience.
weather is in the 70's.
sock is suspect #1 so i will check flow and volume.
thank you everyone for the responses.
AK, i will double check whether post/pre FFM.

started draining the tank. going to drop the tank. it's full so this will take a while.
71e52976.jpg

using the old LP, kind of slow..........
each container is 15 gallons.
fuel is pretty clear for being 60% veg oil.
51ae0a2c.jpg

already decided to remove the sock and make a sump on the tank.
can anybody guess what this pipe is? i will be using this for the sump.
56563ecc.jpg

94c9bfdb.jpg

9515e16f.jpg

it's thick enough to weld to the tank with a feed fitting. will cut/slice a section, flatten it and weld it for the base.

Back