• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Broke a grounding point :(

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
In my effort to clean up all the grounds on the Burb... One ended up snapping off. The one in issue is the one that hides under the coolant line entrance to the heater core. It is pretty well hidden unless you know what you are looking for.

Here is a pic that TD posted on other Place:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=47719&d=1193161562

Since that grounding point is no longer... Can I use another firewall stud to mount the grounding strap to?

FWIW all the grounds were crap on the Burb! Between Rob and TD's posts on grounds and fuses it should be cleaned up for winter in no time at all :)

Thanks!

Any clean/rust free & paint free spot can be a gnd, to test take your meter on resistance scale put one probe on where you are connecting the new gnd, and other on neg batt terminal, looking for 0 ohm or as close to it as possible, if a really clean gnd. it will be very close to reading you get with the 2 meter probes touched together

Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply TD!

FWIW the two strap grounds that attach to the framerail were toast IMO. So two new ones will be installed. One is 12" (firewall strap) and the other 18" (block strap) both will now be 4 gauge straps.

Thanks again,

Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply TD!

FWIW the two strap grounds that attach to the framerail were toast IMO. So two new ones will be installed. One is 12" (firewall strap) and the other 18" (block strap) both will now be 4 gauge straps.

Thanks again,

Double ring lug battery cable to block and clean spot on frame, or other firewall location will serve same function as the broken braided straps GM supplies, doesn't have to be the "official" GM strap & location, any good heavy gauge wire will suffice, you are just looking to provide a "clean" path for them "negative waves(trons), Moriarity" to find a place to go,

Cleaner the better, remember your engine & trans are isolated to tron flow by engine & trans rubber mounts, so you'll need to provide the "pipeline" for the (-) trons.

Good job, Adrian! I agree, all you need is some heavy gauge flexible cables - I ended up buying 4 ga cables from the stereo store, but you can also buy battery cables at the auto store that will work, or you can buy woven straps as well. Just make sure that if you put in a bolt on the firewall that it is touching nice clean shiny steel.

Good luck!

Rob :)

I went with the braided stray like stock because the wire hits the exhaust downpipe. I am/was afraid that the normal rubber coated battery/stereo cable would melt from the exhaust heat... Maybe not, but just my concern.

If Heather did her homework and picked up the 18" strap from the parts store the Burb will be back in business tomorrow... If not, Monday.

Thanks again!

Back