• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

bring a old 4l80 back from dead

xcomet

Reaction score
Burned up? the trans in my truck towing last week. Lucky enough to have a spare with about 100 thousand on it,I know it was in good shape. The trans has been sitting in the shop for the last 15 years. Looking for advise on prep work to convertor and trans before I install. Thanks

Personally, I would at least put clutches, all the seals, and gaskets in it. Buy a Dayco reman converter. Add a qt or so of oil.
You didn't say what year your truck was OR the trans was.
In 4L80-E The 1991-1993 need to stay with the TCM/PCM. The FM is a Bosch and has a cleaning cycle to keep it alive. If the unit is 94 forward you can put it in a 94 forward. I would NEVER put a 91-93 in a 94 control system. IT will burn up from NOT having the Bosch cleaning cycle active in the TCM/PCM on the 91-93 MY.
Overhaul kits a cheap. Better than pulling it back out on your back.
Whatever you do stay away from drilling HOLES for any reason in or around the body assembly or halves.

Thanks for the reply. Truck is a 93 trans 92 so all good.Never played with auto trans builds, is it doable (rebuilt manuals) or better to take to a shop if you can find one thats honest.

Thanks for the reply. Truck is a 93 trans 92 so all good.Never played with auto trans builds, is it doable (rebuilt manuals) or better to take to a shop if you can find one thats honest.

I see you are from Michigan. Try the Transmission Clinic in Madison Heights on John R . They are in the fone book. I know the owner. His work is honest and fair. I have recommended him to many and all of them had a good job for fair price.

The OD gears can wear badly in the 4L80E at 100K. So can the TCC apply solenoid bore. Both areas need to be checked and repaired as needed. The TCC apply solenoid bore is usually the cause of slipping the Torque Converter Clutch and things burn up from there. 25K trans oil changes help keep the TCC bore wear down.

Talking to trans shops and they where saying that the later model 4l80's where beefier then the 92-93. Am I get the actual story? worth the time and would you still upgrade clutches and tc or stay oem

Talking to trans shops and they where saying that the later model 4l80's where beefier then the 92-93. Am I get the actual story? worth the time and would you still upgrade clutches and tc or stay oem

Yup, but you're talking about starting in the 98-99+ model years to start getting the really "good" upgraded bits....

Good to know. So is it worth the extra $ to upgrade the tc and clutch's in the 98-99+ when using it for towing 10k. 6.5 upgrading turbo already 4" ,downpipe and cold air work in progress to increase relaibilatiy and power

Back