• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brief HIR bulb comparison

Will

Boobies make me happy
Reaction score
Got a set of HIR bulbs, both high and low beams installed yesterday. Can't say I can really see a difference between those and the stock bulbs.:( Here are a couple pics I took. First 2 are stock bulbs except for the fog lights. I have high beam bulbs in my fogs. Also I have done the All-Hi mod to my truck.
Standing next to the drivers side door.
HIR1.jpg

Looking at the front.
hir2.jpg

Now with the HIR bulbs installed.Standing pretty much in the same place for both pics.
hir4.jpg

hir3.jpg

Now I don't know if these need time to burn in or anything like that. The boxes where all stamped Toshiba and either 9012 or 9011 so I'm fairly sure that I got actual HIR bulbs but judging by the very little difference in out put I could be wrong.

I can tell a big difference in the Pics.

The HIR's look Whiter & Brighter.

Look at the Head-On Shots. See in the 1st Pic where the Fogs look alot more White than the Lows & Highs. They kinda look Brighter / more Glaring too. Now look at the 2nd Pic, the HIR's are considerably Brighter than the Fogs and WAY more Glaring now.

Also look at the Road Shots. The HIR's are alot Whiter on the Ground VS the Stock Bulbs.

I've got the JD HIR bulbs in...one of the postions and I thought they made a noticeable difference in my GMC light housings.

I guess my eyes aren't as good as I thought they were. After driving a little more with them at night I can see a little difference but not as what I thought they would be. I showed them to a friend tonight and with just the lows on his response was "They're brighter?" so I don't know.

Will, I've tried everything under the sun in my quest for better lighting. Nothing, and I mean nothing can compare to HID's. I look back now and wanna throw up when I think of how much money I've spent over the years on better bulbs, most of which did exactly nothing but inflate some theory that they were brighter.

Those dont look bad though. Do YOU notice a difference? What did they cost?

Will, I've tried everything under the sun in my quest for better lighting. Nothing, and I mean nothing can compare to HID's. I look back now and wanna throw up when I think of how much money I've spent over the years on better bulbs, most of which did exactly nothing but inflate some theory that they were brighter.

Those dont look bad though. Do YOU notice a difference? What did they cost?

I notice a small difference but like I said they are not as bright as what I thought they would be. With shipping it cost me 127 bucks. Probably should have read more about them and HIDs and saved my money and bought some HID kits but I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that HID kits are pretty $$$.

I added HIR's to my truck in all 6 lights (high beams in the fogs) and did the all-on mod. I can tell a big difference with just the low beams but an astounding difference with all-on. I realize HID is brighter but this is so easy and so legal.

I notice a small difference but like I said they are not as bright as what I thought they would be. With shipping it cost me 127 bucks. Probably should have read more about them and HIDs and saved my money and bought some HID kits but I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that HID kits are pretty $$$.

Not always. I remember paying $110 for each kit that I run. And each kit meaning, one set for the low beams, one for the fogs and one for the high beams. Now, that same online store has them for around 70 bucks. So in $127, you could have had a quality set shipped to your door.

Mine werent the most expensive but they werent the cheapest either and I'm going on 2 years without a problem. And rest assured, I use them because my commute to work is though the middle of no where.

Yea, in the End, HID's are the way to go.

Kits just keep coming down in Price as the Months go by. I mean hell, if you do some Shopping around, you can get a Kit SHIPPED for less than a Set of PIAA Halogen Bulbs.

Tried them out on the open road tonight. I can tell a difference with the highs on but with the lows on there really is no difference. Maybe it's because the high beam bulbs down in the fog lights wash out the light, I'm not sure. Guess I'll just add HIDs to the wish list. Damn it's getting longer.

Back