• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brakes

SfcJones

A(ACLU) SGT. SLAUGHTER
Reaction score
I don't really know how to describe this but after 252k miles I should expect a brake problem. I am still running original brakes, everything...pads, rotors, master cylinder, hydroboost, etc.....the truck stops ok, but is seems to take more effort into doing so, not to mention my pedal groans now....inside the cab I hear a groan when I depress the brake pedal...I am thinking for starters that I might need to replace the hydroboost ro master cylinder...need a second opinion on this...

Life of brakes is soooooo dependent on driver habits and type of traffic you deal with. To me it's no biggie that you've gone this long.

Before looking into replacing those parts first you should take your front brakes apart, clean up everything real good, and re-grease the sliding bolts. It doesn't take much for them to start binding a little, which in turn makes you have to hit the brakes harder to stop.

If OTOH you feel like you have to pump your brake pedal a few times to get them to work, then I'd say it's time for a new master cylinder.

the pedal is just tired, so its groaning, much like every other man on this planet who gets tired. ):h after all, its been working for 252K. sorry, no good help here :nonod:

Mine groans every now and then and it has 80K on it. You could try changing the brake fluid and lub up the slide bolts as suggested above. Also the pads my have glazed over and if changing the fluid I would stick some new pads in there as well.

Thanks for the input, I looked at the pads and they have hardly no wear on them, So I think I will clean and lube the sliders and let the dealer replace the brake fluid....I will then let someone turn the rotors and see if this helps....

I would think with 252k that your front brakes aren't working properly. Pads usually only last 60-100k. I'd look at your rear brakes sounds like their doing all the work. They usually last a really long time cause they don't do as much work. Could be a bad proportioning valve.

I looked at all 4 wheels.....all 4 sets of pads have equal wear, truck just stays out on the hiway all the time. My last truck had all original brakes when I traded it in on this one...It had 200k miles. I don't have any pulsating in the pedal or anything....I would be willing to bet it needs to be cleaned up and lubed...just the sliders....not the pads

I looked at all 4 wheels.....all 4 sets of pads have equal wear, truck just stays out on the hiway all the time. My last truck had all original brakes when I traded it in on this one...It had 200k miles. I don't have any pulsating in the pedal or anything....I would be willing to bet it needs to be cleaned up and lubed...just the sliders....not the pads

Like I said before. Some get about 30k miles on brake pads, while others get 200k. All depends on what kind of driving.

If you don't feel any vibrations or pulsing then I'd leave the rotors alone. I see no reason to mess with them unless they are warped. Clean up all the parts, focus on the sliders and I bet it solves you problem.

1) Groaning is normal on some of these brake pedals. Mine stops doing it in warm weather but come fall it'll be back. Bill (CtChevy427) and I were discussing that recently http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=22166
2) I agree that lubing the components and slides is needed.
3) I wouldn't turn the rotors unless you are replacing the pads. I WOULD be inclined to take a scotchbrite wheel to them and lightly scuff them and also scuff sand the pads.
4) If you're gonna take them apart, be ready with some heavy duty tools The knuckle mount bolts need about 260 ft lbs of torque and breakaway is even higher! For the rears I've heard that you need the most expensive T55 Torx socket you can find. A cheap one will break.

BTW, I'm at 126k and I can see an EASY 200k+ happening to mine because, like you, I'm just about all highway miles.

I would think with 252k that your front brakes aren't working properly. Pads usually only last 60-100k. I'd look at your rear brakes sounds like their doing all the work. They usually last a really long time cause they don't do as much work. Could be a bad proportioning valve.

my buddy used to change out breaks on the silverados all the time, and found that he was relacing 2 rear sets to every front set. he thinks smaller rotor, less heat dispertion (sp?) but like you said, the rears do less work :dunno:

Hello Tim,

250k on front brake pads? That's amazing. I bet you use your train horns to slow the truck down...

Just had to replace the front disks/pads on the gasser (80,500 miles). No can turn/grind OEM discs -- gotta replace them. Went with drilled-n-slotted rotors from Brake Performance (http://brakeperformance.com:80/site/brake_rotors.php?ad=promo.10.16.09) when they had a sale back in Oct'2009 ($135 for two rotors, free ceramic pads, free shipping, free galvanizing, warp-free lifetime warranty). They stop PDQ, very noticeably better than the OEM discs/pads.

Very happy. But not 250k happy....

Regards,
Franko

Back