• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brake Pedal Travel- How much?

schulte

ACCELLERANT!!!
Reaction score
How far does your brake pedal move before you actually get some resistance? Mine seems like it goes a good 2-3" before it starts to really take pressure. I just replaced my front brakes (rotors and pads), and the rears were replaced once already and are in good shape.

I bled the crap outta the front brakes but the bleeder broke off when I tried to open it on the rear driver side brake caliper so I didn't want to risk trying the passenger side. When changing the front brakes, the hose end fell down too low and I worry that the rear brakes might have lost fluid and/or gotten air in them.

Is it possible that having air in the system would increase pedal travel like that? Any way to bleed the rear calipers without that bleeder screw? Unfortunately, it sheared off right at the surface so I can't even get an easyout on it; I'm wary of drilling it out.

If you have air in the system,yuo would have a spongy pedal.
If the pedal feels solid,you may have to adjust the rear shoes closer the the drum with the adjuster wheel,that'll bring the pedal up.

without the bleed screw its impossible to bleed,its often cheaper to replace the brake cylinder than to try to get the broke stub out.

04 is 4 wheel disc, so no shoe adjustment. I've driven a few of the new style trucks and I thought the pedal travel was a bit excessive for 4 wheel disc brakes persoanlly.

Back