• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

brake caliper parts

iviper123

Recruit
Reaction score
to start, my front passenger side front rim is get warm/hot while im driving, when i did the brakes a couple months ago i did notice the slider bolts? were tough to push back in to remount them, would th cause the tire rim to warm up that much, is what elese shall i check while im looking at it....

the truck isn't pulling to the drivers side either, would it pull if the brake was dragging?

would i need a whole caliber or do they sell just the bolts/slides ?

to start, my front passenger side front rim is get warm/hot while im driving, when i did the brakes a couple months ago i did notice the slider bolts? were tough to push back in to remount them, would th cause the tire rim to warm up that much, is what elese shall i check while im looking at it....

the truck isn't pulling to the drivers side either, would it pull if the brake was dragging?

would i need a whole caliber or do they sell just the bolts/slides ?

They should have pushed in easiely. Should replace both calipers if I were you as they are only about $25.00 bux a piece.

I would think it would pull to that side if it dragging that bad to get rim hot. Best thing to do is jack that side of truck up and spin tire and see what kind of noise u hear and how hard tire turns. Then take tire of and inspect and see if the pads are wearing fast. It might be that your rotors needed to be turned and were wore funny now with new pads its dragging all the time.

I would think it would pull to that side if it dragging that bad to get rim hot. Best thing to do is jack that side of truck up and spin tire and see what kind of noise u hear and how hard tire turns. Then take tire of and inspect and see if the pads are wearing fast. It might be that your rotors needed to be turned and were wore funny now with new pads its dragging all the time.

If he has the same rotors I have, turning them isn't an option. Can't even get the damn things off without a mission and a half. I'm on my 3rd set of pads without ever turning the rotors. Calipers are dirt cheap for these (surprising) but true. I just replaced the set of mine and painted them gloss black at the same time with engine paint :)

Good idea on jacking up and freewheeling tire to see what happens.

I don't think it would pull, because it probably has enough pressure to apply the brakes, they just wont release properly, causing drag, not necessarily over-braking or under braking (pull)

The bolts and slides cost more than rebuilt calipers. When using rebuilt calipers take the slides apart and grease with silicone grease. They only use enough grease to assemble. Use only silicone grease.

A rubber line collapsing will cause the caliper to not release all of the way too.

i jacke it up and checked it with the tire on could turn the wheel had to use some force, toke the whelle off and couldn't get it to turn by grabing the studs, the caliber had the pads tight to the rotor, i loosened the caliber and am driving it right now but its still getting hot sometimes but not other times and smels most of the time from the rubbing.

so since im gonna need to get new caliber i want to know if there are any upgraded parts i can get for better stopping power.

does any one know a supplier for braided brakeline might as well replace them at the same time?

A rubber line collapsing will cause the caliper to not release all of the way too.

X2 -
to see if it's the hose, jack the wheel up, step on the brake hard,
let go, get out - the wheel should be hard to turn - crack open the
bleeder for a second, if the hose is the culprit, opening the bleed will
release the pressure and allow the wheel to turn - if opening the bleed
doesn't release pressure, the caliper is bad or stuck.

Back