• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bought a case of the good stuff

saratoga

Unpaid Help
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of UOAs with Delvac 1 in TDIs and they have been excellent.

This oil doesn't meet the VW specs for use in the CR engines because the sulfated ash (1.0%) is greater than the 0.6% in the VW spec and it's heavier instead of their 5w30. I highly doubt that small difference is going to shorten the life of the DPF by any significant amount. I know the trend is to use thinner oils for better economy, but for something that cooks the oil at 240* like these engines I feel better using a 5w40 HDEO.
IMAG0009.jpg

thats all I use in my truck...

will have to quit for break in, once we swap the new motor in (at the recommendations of the builder...) at least until the rings have seated...

That's always been my favorite to run in either my D'maxs or in the Cummins. It's a great oil. You will like it for sure Grady.

Thanks, I used Delvac 1300 in my Dmax for probably 98% of its life aside from a few changes with Delo 400. Always preferred using Mobil oils.

Where do you guys get your oil from? None of the truck service centers or truck stops around here carry it. I ended up finding it at a wholesale fuel/lube distributor in Lakeland. $135 for the case.

I get it at the local Farm & Fleet. They have damn near any kind of oil you would want that you can buy off the shelf. They stock about 6 or 7 different diesel oils. They seem to be the only one around me that sell it, or at least where you can find it whenever you go there. Some of the auto parts stores here might get a shipment of it in here and there. Delvac 1 is what I was using when I saw my biggest jumps in mileage after an oil change.

How many gallons in a case? Four? F&F usually has it for about $30-35 gallon.

Last edited:
Four gallons to the case... it sounds like their price is in line from what you mentioned Dave.

I got mine at Pep Boys. They usually have a sale, 5 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic oil and the "good" oil filter for $29.95. I just get 3 of the sales, and get a few extra oil filters to boot. ;)

What are, if any, are the differences from Delvac 1 Syn 5w-40 to the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Syn 5w-40? Have gone up and down the label on both bottles and it doesn't seem like much different. I have used the TD Syn before and was very pleased. Also.. saw it on Saturday at WalMart for $26 a gallon..

HAA, when I seen the thread name I thought it was refering to a case of good beer or something LOL. I wonder how that stuff compairs to rotella t6 5w-40 synthetic, not to start a war or anything like that....

What are, if any, are the differences from Delvac 1 Syn 5w-40 to the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Syn 5w-40? Have gone up and down the label on both bottles and it doesn't seem like much different. I have used the TD Syn before and was very pleased. Also.. saw it on Saturday at WalMart for $26 a gallon..

Dave: I think the stuff Grady bought is the European version of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel. For use in VW, Mercedes, etc. They would both work I think.

HAA, when I seen the thread name I thought it was refering to a case of good beer or something LOL. I wonder how that stuff compairs to rotella t6 5w-40 synthetic, not to start a war or anything like that....

I would say Mobil 1 is more refined and made from better quality pure synthetic stock base. In my opinion, a step up from Rotella T syn. I know we could debate this for weeks on end, but just my opinion.

Dave: I think the stuff Grady bought is the European version of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel. For use in VW, Mercedes, etc. They would both work I think.

It's plain Jane Delvac 1 for big trucks.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English-LC...ucts_engine-oils_mobil-delvac-1-esp-5w40.aspx
Looks like they added the ESP (emission system protection) label to it recently to indicate that it's compatible with dpf/doc systems on newer engines. Confusing because the EU formula M-1 oils also have the ESP label.

I always understood that M-1 TDT was simply repackaged Delvac 1... the product data sheets indicate small differences though.

It's plain Jane Delvac 1 for big trucks.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English-LC...ucts_engine-oils_mobil-delvac-1-esp-5w40.aspx
Looks like they added the ESP (emission system protection) label to it recently to indicate that it's compatible with dpf/doc systems on newer engines. Confusing because the EU formula M-1 oils also have the ESP label.

I always understood that M-1 TDT was simply repackaged Delvac 1... the product data sheets indicate small differences though.

I too see the small differences on the data sheets...thats why when theM1 TDT first came out I emailed Mobil1 tech support, and they said it was the same...things may have changed or I may have been given mis-information by someone just looking to answer a question as quickly as possible...but you would figure the data sheets would be identical...kinda leaves you scratching your head though???

I did my 20k maint last weekend... non VW approved oil and all. Warranty be damned.

Oil, fuel filter, air filter and cabin filter changed. The fuel filter is kind of a bad design, it basically sits inside a cup and the pickup sucks it out the center of the filter. Makes a mess to change because there's no drain on the housing, I had to siphon it out and wipe it clean. Fortunately there was no gunk or water, and the best part is that there were no metal flakes from the CP4.1 which a lot of people have found. You're supposed to prime it by running the lift pumps with a vag-com, but I just used a vacuum pump because my friend that has a vag-com was out of town and I don't feel like buying one. Started just fine without any hiccups.

I'm going to do a UOA with the Delvac next time. Using the ultra thin VW approved M-1 ESP 5W30 with a TBN of less than 6 doesn't sit too well with me just to keep the DPF alive for ?? more miles.

Not to completely de-rail this Grady, but it appears we're getting a new Passat TDI in the next year. So between you, TDI forums and the rest of the interwebs I hope to learn a lot about it. I'll definitely take your advice and run the approved filters and the Delvac 1.

What does a VAG-com cost?

Not to completely de-rail this Grady, but it appears we're getting a new Passat TDI in the next year. So between you, TDI forums and the rest of the interwebs I hope to learn a lot about it. I'll definitely take your advice and run the approved filters and the Delvac 1.

What does a VAG-com cost?

A vag-com that will work with the common rail TDI's runs $250 from Ross Tech. You only need the micro-can model for that car... there's so much you can do with it programming wise, but you can also cause some damage if you're not careful from what I've read. I really should get one.

IIRC the Passat TDI's use urea injection where the Jetta/Golf cars don't even though it's the same engine. A good place for OEM MANN filters is idparts. They've got good prices and shipping isn't ridiculous... I think two oil filters, air filter, cabin filter and fuel filter were something like $53 shipped.

Back