• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bought 6.5 will crank but won’t start

Glad to hear you found the problem. I'm sure with a little tlc, you'll have you a real truck that will last you a lifetime!

Be sure to post up some photos of your truck. where was the short at. pics of the problem area and we can tell you what it is and where the wires

Well I got it to start and stay running runs great. You guys was right it was a short in the 5v system I know what like it is I’m not exactly sure what it goes to yet I have to take a few things off to follow it but atleast I know what like it is. And I did clean up a bad ground. Still got a little work to do and actually fix it but I do know the culprit of the issue. Thanks to all you guys I wouldn’t be able to figure it out with out you!
Glad to hear it! Now, if you plan on keeping it, there's all sorts of upgrades for reliability to be made, especially on '94s, starting with the cooling system upgrades to keep it from overheating. Coolant temperatures over 210°F are fatal to these motors - cracking heads and blowing head gaskets being the tip of the destruction iceberg from overheating.

There's a LOT of 6.5 expertise on here that you just won't find on other forums. Also, we're all about the motors/vehicles, not personality wars on here.

I
Glad to hear you found the problem. I'm sure with a little tlc, you'll have you a real truck that will last you a lifetime!

Be sure to post up some photos of your truck. where was the short at. pics of the problem area and we can tell you what it is and where the wires
I will have to get some tomorrow and post but thanks for your help

I

I will have to get some tomorrow and post but thanks for your help
Glad to hear it! Now, if you plan on keeping it, there's all sorts of upgrades for reliability to be made, especially on '94s, starting with the cooling system upgrades to keep it from overheating. Coolant temperatures over 210°F are fatal to these motors - cracking heads and blowing head gaskets being the tip of the destruction iceberg from overheating.

There's a LOT of 6.5 expertise on here that you just won't find on other forums. Also, we're all about the motors/vehicles, not personality wars on here.
What cooling upgrades do you recommend?

@Glosserj replace the water pump with a balanced high flow pump, electro-viscous fan clutch and the duramax fan! :D

I'll let others chime in and have to joy of giving part numbers and what vehicles they fit. it's all a direct bolt on replacement too.

you don't have to go the EV style fan clutch but it's a plus being able to control it on and off at a desired engine temp and allowing the ac to control it. @ak diesel driver has a good write up here on it. just read it all the way through before deciding the route your want to go. all the parts needed to do this upgrade is not much more that if you were to just replace the original WP, FC, and fan with OE parts, so it's very much worth the trouble. keep in mind that you ONLY use Ac Delco and GM parts so you can "do it once and be done" I've cheaped out on several things since I have bought this truck buying parts from local auto parts houses and chineese aftermarket copies from amazon. I'm still dealing with issues that require me to do it all over again

But before doing any upgrades be sure to fix and work all the current bugs out so you will have a good running truck and a baseline to start with.

Happy that You got it up and running.
Check the harmonic balancer and the pulley for the belt, thats bolted to the balancer. If the rubber portions shows any sign of cracking get them replaced ASAP. A bad balancer/pulley can bust the crank shaft.
Leroy Diesel sells the fluid dampener and a nice pulley too. Those are the recommended units.

Back