• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bottom end girdle

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So as some of you may know I've been talking about this girdle for quite awhile. Well I'm finally getting around to starting on it. Don't expect it to be done anytime soon, I don't seem to get anything done quickly. Lol I picked up the cast iron I'm using probably a couple of years ago. Most of it is quite a bit bigger than the finished product, but in raw form it is pretty rough. My cheepee mill doesn't quite have enough travel to go full length so I have to slide it back and forth to do these long side pieces. Don't have a drawing but I do have a mental picture of how I want to build it. The piece on the mill table still needs about 3/16 taken off for thickness. It started out being about 1 1/2" and will end up being just under an inch.IMG_20220131_112838_470.jpgIMG_20220131_111253_561.jpg
I'm able to make decent size chips, I keep flipping it and after a couple of passes I walk away and let it cool down. Not that it's getting really hot I can just tell by touching it that it's warmer than it was. Trying to keep it straight.....IMG_20220131_111535_724.jpg

So I have the first piece to the right thickness. I think the surface that goes against the block I might grind flat, haven't decided yet.
Decided to do a test fit on the block and as I assumed the rear of the block will have the most clearance issues.IMG_20220201_125229_293.jpgIMG_20220201_125235_615.jpgIMG_20220201_125254_843.jpg
I'll probably clearance the side rail to clear the starter but I'm going to wait and get a ball mill so I don't have any sharp edges to create a stress fracture.

On the oil filter side I'll have a similar issue with the oil filter. I'm probably going to use a remote filter setup but I think I'd like to be able to use the stock set-up as well.IMG_20220201_130256_521.jpgIMG_20220201_130334_988.jpg
Here's how the stock oil filter adapter fits on my optimizer. If anyone has what they think would be a better idea.....

On the oil filter side I'll have a similar issue with the oil filter. I'm probably going to use a remote filter setup but I think I'd like to be able to use the stock set-up as well.View attachment 71419View attachment 71420
Here's how the stock oil filter adapter fits on my optimizer. If anyone has what they think would be a better idea.....
IIRC, when I had a dual remote filter, the adapter was about the same size as the filter.

Are you planing to mill the block main cap registers back to your new side pieces or step the new cap blocks ?

The cutter you are using could be used to clearance where the oil filter mounts, plunge down into the side for a large radius cut maybe.

I wrote to him a while back through the contact form on the website and never got a response. Maybe try the good old fashioned phone call

Back