• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Boss did something that may be regrettable.

:werd:

Fords kingranches are AWESOME! I was pretty close to buying a 6.0 for fairly cheap ~11K when my 06 dropped from 22K to 18K and I left with it at 17K, extra 6K well spent (or financed lol) IMO. I could have bought a 6.0 and got all of the bullet proof mods done but that would have taken time and I NEEDED a running truck.

So far 60K of abuse and the tranny shows some signs of weakening but it can be limped to 250K I bet. Pretty good service life IMO.

Yep. Our 05 has shown no signs of weakness at 100k. Never been to the dealer for any kind of powertrain hiccup whatsoever.

LBZ... 214k 2 glow plugs. Replaced 4 since it was the same bank.
1 trans cooler return line replace. 1 front hub (hit a curb hard)
I thought I had a couple of other problems along the way but I was wrong.

A fairly :rolleyes: good record I would say...

I forgot I had a water pump take a dump and am loosing coolant again. No pressure in the cooling system and no coolant in the oil so HG's are ok and I assume EGR is ok so I have an external leak some where. Been starting and stopping on the concrete in front of my barn but havent seen a drip... I'm betting WP seal or coolant seal on EGR. All original GP's and Injectors and as long as I run additive every once in awhile my balance rates stay sane.

I need to upgrade trans lines as one is seeping but doesnt drip. 203K and holding until spring/summer towing season hits, only have to fill up once a week @1/2-3/4 tank vs 4-5 times @E in the summer.

the ford dealer has a 04 (IDK if LB7 or LLY) CCLB 3500 DRW. gloss white, I believe 4wd. duramax allison. weather guard crossover and side boxes. I keep bugging him to see if they will trade. the duramx has 6 digit miles and is 2 years older, and lower trim afaik, so maybe they will trade straight across?

JMO, if you can get an 04 or even an 03 LB7 cheap enough (maybe known bad injectors) you can source a set of LLY heads and do the harness swap. Probably end up with a nice truck and put together with studs already. More $$$ more work just get a truck reliable still, back in 6.0 territory.

I was referring to a turnkey purchase. If you are willing to go with the head swap then sure, you can make an LB7 as reliable but it won't be cheap.

real easy to tell if LB7 or LLY. just have to BS with the dealer for a bit to get under the hood. that could be painful in an of itself.........

Son is licking his wounds right now.:mad2:

His ferd died without warning along the highway last sunday night.
$160 towbill to get him to a steeler shop,$ 150 motel room for the night
yesterday steeler diagnosis,.. the 6 ltr puked the high pressure oil pump and some other electr gadget associated with it.
Cost of the itty bitty pump $ 1080,..the other gadget $ 495 + other parts like gaskets,..total parts $ 1800 +
Steeler finished repair today....Labor $ 2300 + change.:WTF:

Total bill $ 4237,-
Add to that 2 days food, 2 nights motel.
Son is out nearly $5000 for one little found on road dead hickup.:eek::eek::eek:

Man,..do i love my 6.5 diesels ;)

Speaking of the HPOP . . . Given the mileage and stated lack of prior loving care, IIRC a HPOP rebuild is worth considering.

For the overall care and feeding on the PowerStroke, check out PowerStrokeNation where the folks, like here, are looking to keep their rigs on the road for lower $$$. And yeah, I know, lower $$$ is relative ;)

Son is licking his wounds right now.:mad2:

His ferd died without warning along the highway last sunday night.

Have mixed results with dealerships where some mechanics truly went the extra mile and some focused more on the paid-per-task aspect.

Next time a hiccup occurs, try to get a local shop reference from PSN or one of the other Forums.

Back